Discuss Klein Tools Holesaw Sets in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Are any of these holesaw sets any good:

Sizes most used in rough order of priority.
note, this will change if you are in a specific type of electrical work.

20mm
25mm
32mm
16mm
40mm
50mm

plus specific sizes for downlighters may need to be added

Won't be much use to an electrician in the UK.

Are you wanting to start from scratch or do you have a few sizes to which you'd like to add?

I’m looking to start from scratch. I did look at Armeg but they are so expensive. I’ve a voucher to use so I can get them half price. They do an electrical set.

Sizes most used in rough order of priority.
note, this will change if you are in a specific type of electrical work.

20mm
25mm
32mm
16mm
40mm
50mm

plus specific sizes for downlighters may need to be added

thanks, which brand of Holesaws and Wood drillbit do you recommend? I hear the Bosch are good, any experience with a brand that you were impressed with?

For steel, I use these

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/starr...rc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

for wood, I use these

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/bosch-expert-spade-bit-set-8-pieces/984ky

for stainless steel, I use these.

sweet thanks, for making holes in plastic boxes etc. do you use the same starret holesaws? I saw a video of an electrician recommending to drill it in reverse which prevent cracking of the plastic

Starrett holesaws are hard to beat in terms of quality and price. Yeah you can probably find better, but not at Starrett prices and many big names produce holesaws that are little more than junk when it comes to cutting steel.

Worth a mention are the tiny sheet steel holesaws produced by Armeg (Acceler8), CK & Starrett. Very neat cutting and a lip that stops intrusion into trunking or the likes. Oddly enough I wouldn't touch Starrett's version of these as I believe the pilot bit can't be replaced.

The holesaw set James linked above is a good starting point, with no useless sizes.

As above I always use Starrett and sometimes Bosch for hole saws

I also have some cheapo ones from screwfix which are fine for cutting DL holes in plaster board

Have thr bosch quick change and they're good BUT the biggest negative about the QC range (bosch at least) is you can't stack them and use a smaller holesaw for your pilot (to enlarge smaller holes and stay central.

Mandrax QC looks identical to Bosc and DOES allow for thr aforementioned stacking, no idea if they are interchangeable by coincidence

Last edited:
Have thr bosch quick change and they're good BUT the biggest negative about the QC range (bosch at least) is you can't stack them and use a smaller holesaw for your pilot (to enlarge smaller holes and stay central.

Mandrax QC looks identical to Bosc and DOES allow for thr aforementioned stacking, no idea if they are interchangeable by coincidence

I'd consider quick change holesaws if the arbors were universal, but no way am I buying into a system that's exclusive to one brand.

I actually think Starret do a universal quick change system (could be wrong), but I'm not entirely convinced that changing holesaws is problematic enough to warrant additional expenditure. In the future we'll probably all use this sort of system and talk about how difficult life used to be when it took 5 seconds to change cutters 😁

I've looked into this and Starrett have 2 separate quick change systems which appear to be universal.

Pros:
Slight time saving.
Quick change adaptors aren't too pricey (about £12 for 3).
Useless to people who never buy their own tools and need to borrow constantly - probably the single greatest selling point and one which Starrett appear to have overlooked.

Cons:
Expensive arbor required (about £35).
Not sure if standard pilot drills will suit (if they do, this can be removed).
Need an adaptor for every cutter or the system is pointless (more money).

On balance, I'll stick with tradition and save the money for something that's actually beneficial.

I've looked into this and Starrett have 2 separate quick change systems which appear to be universal.

Pros:
Slight time saving.
Quick change adaptors aren't too pricey (about £12 for 3).
Useless to people who never buy their own tools and need to borrow constantly - probably the single greatest selling point and one which Starrett appear to have overlooked.

Cons:
Expensive arbor required (about £35).
Not sure if standard pilot drills will suit (if they do, this can be removed).
Need an adaptor for every cutter or the system is pointless (more money).

On balance, I'll stick with tradition and save the money for something that's actually beneficial.
Bosch have QC adapters to let 3rd parties holesaws to be used in thr system, had to use them to get a Dewalt holesaw in the size I needed as boschdidnt have it

Not much I can add. Several people have given their opinions on preferred brands. Others are available, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Fair point. I do appreciate everyone’s input. I’m just thinking of the best value for money as even min wage isn’t great. I’m trying to budget for some hole saws.

If you are going to use them every now and then, I am sure they will last you a fair time.
drilling plastic, they should last a lifetime.
if you are punching 10 x 20mm holes in steel distribution boards every day then they will need replacing often.

Reply to Klein Tools Holesaw Sets in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net