Discuss Knob & Tube question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JC3

-
Reaction score
New to the forum but really need some electrical advice. I’m in the process of taking down a knee wall in one of our bedrooms when I found an active knob and tube wire that runs right through it. It’s live, but I don't know if it’s the hot or neutral wire. I figured out which breaker it’s on, and it only powers a couple lights on the second floor that i can do without. So i know the breaker, but don’t know where the corresponding neutral wire is - There’s a couple of knob and tube neutral returns but i don't’ know which one’s associated with that breaker, and they’re backed in there pretty tightly. Most of the wiring has been redone but we still have a bit on the second floor.

Question - with the main power off is it safe to permanently remove the hot wire from that breaker, and then proceed to cut the knob and tube wire that runs through the knee wall (which is either the hot or neutral associated with that breaker) and not bother trying to find and disconnect the neutral wire in the panel?

I’ll likely have someone remove the remaining knob and tube wire from the house but the family is really strapped right now but hope to have it done within the year.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Just looking for a safe Band-Aid solution to allow me to quickly deal either this one wire holding up my reno, and then I'll have a professional sort it once I've saved enough for them to remove it all from the second floor

This is a UK based forum and the wiring system you speak of we are not overly familiar with. I know it is a very old method of installation and not very often found in use now, a Band Aid solution as you request will not be forthcoming. The only recommendation would be to seek the help from an electrician.

This is a UK based forum and the wiring system you speak of we are not overly familiar with. I know it is a very old method of installation and not very often found in use now, a Band Aid solution as you request will not be forthcoming. The only recommendation would be to seek the help from an electrician.
To add to Westwards advice, you are based in Ontario, can you not seek advice in Canadian or US electrical forums? by doing so you may find someone near to your location who may be able to visit site and offer some practical help.
Knob and Tube is not something we use in the UK, I have seen it when I worked in Ottawa many moons ago, so unless one of the Forums members originates from your neck of the woods, and has experience with K&T wiring, it's doubtful you will get the right kind of advice, even from the kind hearted Electricians who frequent this Forum, good luck and hope you manage to get your problem sorted.

Sorry, for some reason I though you’d have more experience with knob and tube than here in north America given the prominence of older houses, but looks like it was used more in North America (1880-1930’s). Thanks for the advise. Appears my original thoughts were accurate and I can go ahead and snip it once I’ve disconnected it from the breaker and I don’t have to worry about the neutral. Appreciate your time and input
Sláinte!

I'm curious to know what function the "active knob" wire serves.:D

I’ve seen quite a few of these doing electrical work in the UK. They were more active during the mid 2000’s but slowly but surely they are being eradicated. They offered a serious risk to home grown, qualified, UK sparks and it’s good to see that since the rise in knowledge from the UK consumer following the rise in absolutely appalling workmanship since the mid 2000’s the UK sparks are now beginning to pick up again in numbers.

Yet another species beginning a fight back!

I’ve seen quite a few of these doing electrical work in the UK. They were more active during the mid 2000’s but slowly but surely they are being eradicated. They offered a serious risk to home grown, qualified, UK sparks and it’s good to see that since the rise in knowledge from the UK consumer following the rise in absolutely appalling workmanship since the mid 2000’s the UK sparks are now beginning to pick up again in numbers.

Yet another species beginning a fight back!

You obviously haven't been reading JK-E's threads about electrical work in Scotland!

Reply to Knob & Tube question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net