Discuss Landing double switch incorrectly wired in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

bdpoop

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. Newbie here and hoping someone can help.

Some time ago I replaced the landing double light switch. Wires must have come loose as it stopped working. Put them back in what I thought was the right place but its not quite working properly. Its one of these thats connected to the one at the bottom of the stairs so you can switch it on or off at either end of the stairs. Now it switches on ok at the bottom of the stairs but when you get upstairs and turn it off it stays on and the same the other way round so Ive not got something quite right.

Getting hold of a sparky here is difficult and I reckon its just one wire I need to move but Im scratching my head here. Anyone what to take a look. Pics below.

Downstairs switch

Upstairs switch

Is there two black wires at the second picture or is it just shadow.

Should be straight forward if wired as I think. Can you see the terminal markings on the upstairs switch and what are they.

Should be straight forward if wired as I think. Can you see the terminal markings on the upstairs switch and what are they.

No its hard to get in, the wires are too short. I did that with the electric on. I can try again later with the electric off. Might have to be tomorrow.

I can probably still tell you. Blue into the top terminal, both reds into one of the bottom terminals and the black and yellow into the other bottom terminal.

I can probably still tell you. Blue into the top terminal, both reds into one of the bottom terminals and the black and yellow into the other bottom terminal.

Thanks. So basically swap the two reds with where the blue is in the single upstairs switch?

Yes just swap them.

Just an update. Advice above was correct and thanks for that. I managed to get an electrician on Whatsapp video call just now to finally go over it with me. All working fine now.

Many thanks all.

Reply to Landing double switch incorrectly wired in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net