Discuss Leaving the trade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you are in the same boat. I'm seriously considering leaving the trade all together, everybody wants to cut costs and its killing me! I don't even work for myself, I really feel for those of you fighting to win work. After being made to carry out a 4hr unpaid round trip to a job for 10 weeks I am now having my van taken off me because i'm going to be working within an hours travel for a couple of weeks.
What career change would you guys go for if you were to change?

Best bet would be to go self employed if you can get a few clients.
It takes a couple of years to get established though.
The only person who makes a good living is the boss in our game.

Or is it a case of you have had a crap time of late and feel like just saying f@@k it ??
Im only a couple of years older than you and have thought sod it a few times but electrics is what we do. Chin up buddy !!!

I can't help thinking the same thing is happening in most jobs nowadays - the easy way is always to put the squeeze on those lower down the pecking order instead of coming up with your own efficiency savings.

Whatever else you do you'll be starting from the bottom again (unless you go the 'fast track cowboy' route) and there are no guarantees that this new job will be any different.

Have you considered doing something else electrically related? Maybe offshore work, marine, aviation, heavy industry, set up your own business, even work for someone else?

if you have half a day to spare for the training why not become a plumber :rofl:

you probably don't, maybe just turn up in a pair of dungaree's with a coffee in one hand while scratching your tackle with the other. and remember to wedge the daily star under your armpit.

The grass is always greener elsewhere but there's guys making very good money in all industries including electrical. The only advantage of learning or taking up a new trade is you'll probably be more motivated for a short while.

If you're a competent tradesman and you're not making a living then you need to find a better job with a better company. If you're self employed and you're not making a living you need to go on a business course because without business skills you won't make a living in any trade.

It's not the career that is at fault,it's your employer. Do not be disheartened,if it's any consolation,you get just as low being self-employed...the craic is to move on...there are NO bad experiences,just experience...i know you havent hit rock bottom because your not going for an interview at B Gas... chin up dude :19:

One door shuts and an other one opens this is true i worked for 26 years for a big set up the mindless manages got so bad i called it a day been self employed for ten years now its not that bad

Reply to Leaving the trade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net