Discuss LED Ceiling panel light switching on in standby mode (on the 4th switch on) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What on earth is that
The standard of work in this area, and folks worry about me electrocuting others hehe, anyone who touches any of the wiring in this house needs to have Bear Grylls survival skills 'cos we're all out to electrocute each other.
I don't profess to be an expert electrician, but as far as DIYers go, I think I could have done a better job, even if I did use whatever I had available.
I will box it in one day, when I'm in the mood.

View attachment 95998

This was the handy work of trician #2, and at that he had to do the job twice 'cos he put the board slap bang in the back doors path, so you couldn't close it.
I got back home to a good giggle and called him back out to shift it all again.
I only have to put up with this system for another 3 years max, then we'll be moving on anyway, so I'm not too fussed about causing any headaches over legalities of it all.
I'm just baffled as to what is causing these two separate light fittings with different ballasts to have the same issue, it makes no sense to me.
Is that a supposed electricians work or yours.

Is that a supposed electricians work or yours.
Definitely not mine, I'd have at least taped each joint & block up, and boxed it up.
Nope not guilty, this was electrician #2, it was done about 6 years ago, but again nobody is ever going to go near it, so I've had no incentive to box it up.

I'm shaking my head...and feeling rather despondent
It's like going o KwikFit to get a puncture repaired and the mechanic points out that there's a split in a brake pipe and the fluid is leaking out...
"Never mind that, just fix my puncture, I need to head off to Dover cos I've a ferry to catch"

The standard of work in this area, and folks worry about me electrocuting others hehe, anyone who touches any of the wiring in this house needs to have Bear Grylls survival skills 'cos we're all out to electrocute each other.
I don't profess to be an expert electrician, but as far as DIYers go, I think I could have done a better job, even if I did use whatever I had available.
I will box it in one day, when I'm in the mood.

It may be in a bad state already, but even you must realise that it is not a good idea to make it even worse by doing what you have done. Surely?

I'm shaking my head...and feeling rather despondent
It's like going o KwikFit to get a puncture repaired and the mechanic points out that there's a split in a brake pipe and the fluid is leaking out...
"Never mind that, just fix my puncture, I need to head off to Dover cos I've a ferry to catch"
The mechanic isn't likely to go making you homeless before you reach Dover.
Insisting on checks is likely to do that, and getting the council to come and enforce it is likely to have the building condemned and do that too.

But I see that this thread isn't about sorting my issue, but instead more about attacking me, so I'll just leave it at that.

The mechanic isn't likely to go making you homeless before you reach Dover.
Insisting on checks is likely to do that, and getting the council to come and enforce it is likely to have the building condemned and do that too.

But I see that this thread isn't about sorting my issue, but instead more about attacking me, so I'll just leave it at that.

It's not at all about attacking you. The replies have reflected the dangerous situation.

We were(are) concerned for your safety, and the safety of anyone else who might visit the property for any reason. Then after seeing the unacceptable consumer unit install, more concerned. Now you mention the building is in such a condition that it is likely to be entirely condemned if it was inspected?

All tenants have legal rights and right at the top of the GOV.uk list is:

As a tenant, you have the right to:
  • live in a property that’s safe and in a good state of repair.
also listed:
  • be protected from unfair eviction and unfair rent

We were(are) concerned for your safety, and the safety of anyone else who might visit the property for any reason. Then after seeing the unacceptable consumer unit install, more concerned. Now you mention the building is in such a condition that it is likely to be entirely condemned if it was inspected?

All tenants have legal rights and right at the top of the GOV.uk list is:

As a tenant, you have the right to:
  • live in a property that’s safe and in a good state of repair.
also listed:
  • be protected from unfair eviction and unfair rent
Yeah, we moved to a village where everyone knows everyone, and my landlord pretty much owns the whole lane, as well as numerous sites elsewhere, is a pillar of the community and a member of the funny handshake lodges.
I don't for one second think the local council (who's top brass are also members of the funny handshake lodges) would be taking my side of any argument anytime soon.

And yes I'll agree the electrics are a health hazard, but at present it's convenient to just make do and these fittings save on energy bills.

I just wanted to know if anyone had come across a scenario where led light fittings displayed the given issue regardless of ballast or place in the loop.

Nobody on here is going to help you fix those lights. At least replace them with something that doesn't require an earth. For other people's safety, not just your own (you mention 'we', so I assume there is someone else there also)

Reply to LED Ceiling panel light switching on in standby mode (on the 4th switch on) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net