Currently reading:
LED Driver alternative

Discuss LED Driver alternative in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you are going for that type of form factor (they would typical be inside a linear light fitting, then why not
8.33K resistor gives 600mA same minimum voltage so no downside

E2A: see posts below, the following might be incorrect due to the differences between Gen 1 & 2 configuration.

I am not convinced that the LED is presently running at 605mA. The Osram LEDset guide gives the resistor value as:
Rset [Ω] = (5 V/Iout [A]) x 1000
For 605mA that would be 8.3kΩ and although I can't see the colours on that resistor clearly enough to say what the value is, it doesn't look like 8.2 kΩ. The band that Brian sees as green, I see as blue, which would make it 16kΩ leading to a lamp current of 310mA, i.e. it might be significanly underrun (which could be a factor in the LEDs all outlasting the drivers.) I would want to double-check that before choosing an alternative driver.

Last edited:
I am not convinced that the LED is presently running at 605mA. The Osram LEDset guide gives the resistor value as:
Rset [Ω] = (5 V/Iout [A]) x 1000
For 605mA that would be 8.3kΩ and although I can't see the colours on that resistor clearly enough to say what the value is, it doesn't look like 8.2 kΩ. The band that Brian sees as green, I see as blue, which would make it 16kΩ leading to a lamp current of 310mA, i.e. it might be significanly underrun (which could be a factor in the LEDs all outlasting the drivers.) I would want to double-check that before choosing an alternative driver.
Thank you Lucien for the cautionary words.

The formula you use above is for Osram "Gen 2" devices.
But the OP's part number I think indicates a Gen 1 device according to the Osram bumf?
See below - I'm not clear if this changes anything or not - your thoughts would be appreciated please.
D10F9962-1A57-4F0C-96B8-BA6EAEF2698F.jpeg

Good spot, I think you're right and I've edited the above post. Can we discover the relationship of resistor to current for Gen. 1 drivers?

Good spot, I think you're right and I've edited the above post. Can we discover the relationship of resistor to current for Gen. 1 drivers?
I found this (description! of link in my post #7) see below:
My attempts at unravelling this from the 274uA current, (presumably from 12V) - and I really haven't understood this - suggested someting like 7V across Rset, which would be driving the lamp a bit over 400mA.

5CA1A435-47EE-46D2-9DAA-EF40C81CA014.jpeg

Post crossed with yours Lucien!
I thought I had worked out the source impedance of the 274uA and I had a potential divider of that and Rset which led to a voltage across Rset that I mention above.
Clearly something wrong with that!! Yes - it's a constant current source DUH! Prefer your version.

Last edited:
Oops, post crossed with yours.

It seems the Gen1 interface sets the fraction of the rated output current, not the absolute current, in the relationship: Iout = Inom ((Vset-1)/9). Vset can be derived from an active voltage source in a remote control, optionally referenced to the driver's +12V aux supply, or can be created passively by a resistor driven by a constant 274μA bias current that flows out of the control terminal. Thus for a 16kΩ resistor:
Vset = 274μ * 16k = 4.4V
Iout = 700 * ((Vset-1)/9) = 263mA

That's an even lower fraction of the panel's rating and is starting to sound unlikely.

To set a Gen1 driver of 700mA rating to 605mA with a resistor, one would need:
Vset = 605/700 * 9 +1 = 8.8V
Rset = Vset/274μ = 32kΩ or 33kΩ as the nearest preferred value.

Perhaps we are not seeing the colours on the resistor correctly, but I can't resolve them to anything like 33kΩ

Last edited:

Reply to LED Driver alternative in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back