Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Left side gas pedal wiring problem... in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Steve Mallett

Steve Mallett New EF Member

Hi all. Hope someone can help me. I have mounted a left side throttle pedal in my Cee'd CRDI (Diesel 1.6 Auto 2010) for my disabled wife. The pedal is mounted but now comes the interesting part! I drive the car also and need to keep the right side pedal. Which connections on the throttle pedals need to be switched to enable one and disable the other. No relays, just a simple 2,3 or 4 pole changeover. Hopefully not all six!
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

2. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Hi,you will have to be careful how you achieve this...

For one,the ECU will see any change or delay,as a fault,and due to the important safety concern,of it controlling speed,it may flag a light or limp mode.

The second issue,is any modification you make,may require assessment and approval,from insurance,manufacturer or type approval accreditation body.

I know for a fact,that dual controls have to fit the above,and i will absolutely guarantee that any call you make to a dealer,will reveal the above.

3. plugsandsparks

plugsandsparks Electrician's Arms

you need a wiring diagram ideally which shows how the pedal is connected to the ecu. It could well be 6 wires, in which you will need a 6 way changeover switch....eek.
    As mentioned ECUs are devils and are always looking for problems so you will need to operate the changeover before turning on the ignition.
    If you have installed the pedal then it should show how many connections there are. It is likely you need them all.

4. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Trusted Advisor

2 way light switch fixed to the dash board lol, connect one pedal to one strap and the other to the other strap, job done :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

If i was doing it...and i'm not,and pleased i'm not...

I would have a secondary pedal,linked mechanically to the first,via bi-directional cabling or other means. Done in the proper manner,this is an "addition to equipment" and not a redesign and new install.

Hand throttles/accelerators are also accepted practice,and may be available. It is as well to check what accepted additions are allowed on any particular vehicle,as some items,such as towbars,are just not permitted.

6. Steve Mallett

Steve Mallett New EF Member

Cool everyone. Thanks for your comments ;)