Discuss Light Fitting pre 2004 wires? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

GGGMan

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all

Would really appreciate some advice as my first attempt at changing a light fitting. Watched numerous YouTube vids but nothing quite fits what I am facing.

I assume I have pre-2004 IEE wiring, but a bit thrown by the blue and brown wires (see pic)? Also, not entirely sure which is the switch-live (no brown or red sleeves)?

I need to feed the wires in to a modern light fitting (see pic). I was planning on using terminal blocks (either 10 or 15 amp) and insulating with electrical wire. From the terminal blocks to the unit, I've ordered 1.5mm wiring (Yellow/Green, Blue and Brown). I assume it won't matter having pre-2004 wiring running into the terminal block and current IEC running out to the unit?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Light fitting.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 33
  • New Light Fitting.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 32
Without being there to actually test, I think it's reasonable to assume they have got the brown/blue in the wrong terminals. The blue should be in the one with the multiple black conductors (with 3 holes) and the brown should be in the one with the single black conductor (with 2 holes).

The reds in the middle are permanently live. You must isolate the circuit at the consumer unit.

As SC says, the brown and blue are wrong way round.

The single black is switched live, should be sleeved in red or brown.

The remaining blacks are neutral.

You won’t get all the wires into that silly little connector box that comes with the light. If at all possible, terminate into an enclosure in the ceiling void and just bring one set of switched live, neutral and earth each into the fitting.

Crabtree make a ceiling rose (5861) which I've used on occasions for situations like this.
The 5861 has its cover retained by two 4mm screws, instead of the more usual screw on arrangement, and if the spacing of these holes matches that of the fixing of the new fitting, the old rose can be replaced by one, and the new fitting attached directly to it.

Reply to Light Fitting pre 2004 wires? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net