Discuss Light Switch changes in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Y

yusufg

Hi Everyone

I am extremely stuck.

I have got an old plastic switch that I am replacing to a polished one but I have come across a difficulty after I have changed them over.

The switch is for the kitchen lights.

I currently have one Tube light connected to them and on 3 switches there are spot lights.

I have got the tube light working and 2 other switches. The one spot light does not seem to work. I can not work it out. i have copied the original wiring from the previous switch but this did not work.

Any suggestions for what I have done wrong.

Would appreciate any help

I have enclosed two photos one of the previous and now one of the new.

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2090.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 31
Hi Everyone

I am extremely stuck.

I have got an old plastic switch that I am replacing to a polished one but I have come across a difficulty after I have changed them over.

The switch is for the kitchen lights.

I currently have one Tube light connected to them and on 3 switches there are spot lights.

I have got the tube light working and 2 other switches. The one spot light does not seem to work. I can not work it out. i have copied the original wiring from the previous switch but this did not work.

Any suggestions for what I have done wrong.

Would appreciate any help

I have enclosed two photos one of the previous and now one of the new.
Keep the circuit turned off and do not use. It looks like you have a line conductor connected to the metal casing.
Seek the services of an electrician to sort you out.

agree with post#2. bloody lethal.

As above you nead an electrian DO NOT TURN THE POWER ON the yellow cable does not go onto the casing of the light switch and the rest look wrong too

Unfortunately you have not managed in any way to duplicate the wiring from the old switch to the new. There are only about two or three wires in the right places.
Please, please do not try to use this as it is.
The metal brass switch plate must be earthed and must not be connected to a light.
I would expect that two lights would work and one light (the two way switch) would only work when one of the other lights was on.
The other switch has not got a light connected to it, as it has been connected to the metal front plate. However please do not try to test if this statement is correct.

The old switch was wired in a non conventional but convenient manner and I think because two of the switches are effectively upside down compared to the other switch that you have misplaced how the wires should go.

Professional assistance would be a very good idea, from your photographs they should be able to wire the switch correctly and safely for you.

Because of the nature of the errors made I do not feel it would be safe to try and advise you over the internet.

Thanks for your comments-
I agree that the way it is wired up is completely wrong- I had initially copied the way it was done in the first place when I took off the original switch however an elder relative decided to interfere once I said it was not working and decided to do there work.

I want to go back and redo the wiring of the old switch and I have written down which wire goes to which socket from the picture. But just looking at the old switch is there anyway in which i should follow it? And Would this make a difference? So should I start from top left of the picture and go right or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the switching arrangement you have this isn't a simple task unless you understand how a changeover switch operates plus you have a 4 gang arrangement which further complicates matters to a point where it isn't easy to safely talk you through it.

As already pointed out your wiring in the second photo is likely to be highly dangerous.

I'm closing this thread I'm afraid because I think the risks of something not ending well are too high. I'd also strongly advise you not to make this switch live and to get an electrician to sort it out.

Last edited:

Reply to Light Switch changes in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net