Discuss Lighting circuit from an RCBO in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

dp3

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fitting a new lighting circuit into my garage consumer unit that will feed 2x outside wall lights.

I plan on using a two way circuit to have an external switch and one located inside the house.

The attached picture is how i plan on wiring but i have one question about the Neutral feed from the CU.

two-way-switching-wiring-diagram.jpg

Shall i take the Neutral directly from the RCBO or from the Neutral Bar and its corresponding circuit?

Many Thanks,

you aready have cable A supplying the new lights from existing circuit. if you want the new lights on their own RCBO take the feed L and N from the new RCBO and don't go into the existing light circuit

you aready have cable A supplying the new lights from existing circuit. if you want the new lights on their own RCBO take the feed L and N from the new RCBO and don't go into the existing light circuit

The outside lights will be a new circuit, I will take the L and N feed directly out the RCBO, Thank you for clearing that up.

Will this work be getting tested, a certificate produced, and building control notified ?
It most certainly will once finished, I just try and save money on the labor cost side.

Last edited:
It most certainly will once finished, I just try and save money on the labor cost side.

I have to ask then. Why aren't you taking advice on how to complete this job from the competent person that has agreed to test and certificate this job ?

I have to ask then. Why aren't you taking advice on how to complete this job from the competent person that has agreed to test and certificate this job ?

Because it was easier to come on here and ask after reading conflicting information online rather then bother him whilst hes at work ;)

Hi - if I could just say - it's one thing to diy extend an existing light circuit in a garage and add another light say, but it's a whole other thing to be opening up a Consumer Unit and creating a new circuit. Whole different thing technically and legally. Just saying :)

I spy with my little eye a DIY'er fishing for instructions to avoid getting a professional in.
I could be wrong but If you look at the OP's previous posts he has done quite a bit of work on his outdoors electrics ... Not saying hes useless but the question he asked about where to take the neutral from for the light circuit just screams get a qualified electrician in..

Hmm it makes me wonder if the OP has ever seen an RCBO let alone fit one after the last sentence in his post.

Trying to save money on the Labour and cost side is how people cause dangerous situations being untrained. I certainly wouldn't be going in and certifying a DIYers work for any money, and I doubt there would be many out there would put their name to it

I fully agree that this diy man seems to be overstepping is capability

These posts by a diy guy doing work that is being "tested and certified" by his electrician :rolleyes: Its often met with warnings about the Part P procedure

I believe that Part P in the minds of a large proportion of the general public,it does not and never has existed
Its often given little regard and its certainly of no real importance to the average man in the street

I believe that Part P in the minds of a large proportion of the general public,it does not and never has existed. Its often given little regard and its certainly of no real importance to the average man in the street
Agree !
I rarely see DIY gas work, but the same is sadly not the case with electrics.

Reply to Lighting circuit from an RCBO in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net