Discuss Lighting Circuit Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

blawford

Hi all,

I am in the process of completely renovating my bathroom, I am at the stage where I am putting some cables in place for lighting.

Plan is to have two wall lights and a ceiling light all operating off a single switch in the hallway.

Can I please check the following diagram with you to see if anyone foresees any issues. The connections are going to be behind plasterboard so every connection will be in Wago 3-Way Lever connectors (10 used in total) and then in Wago Lighting Junction boxes.

Thanks!

Attachments

• BathroomWiring.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 53
Hi blawford, welcome to the forum :).

I take it you are asking this from a DIY approach, I have approved for the general forum for now but Admin' may give you DIY access when they are online and relocate the thread.

Our members will be happy to assist until then.

firsat.i'd make all connections in the switches and fittings. sod the buried wagos. and then what about an extractor fan, vanity mirror/ cabinet, shaver socket? then there's the RCD issue.

Last edited:
firsat.i'd make all connections in the switches and fittings. sod the buried wagos. and then what about an extractor fan, vanity mirror/ cabinet, shaver socket? then there's the RCD issue.

Not having any of that stuff, this is the downstairs bathroom, we have an upstairs shower room that we will be using daily, this will just be for very infrequent baths and toilet use.

Would prefer to go down the route I already have as it will be a while before I get the light fittings in place and I want to get the plasterboard up, plus they are quite spread out. Will it work?

i'd feed to the switch first, L and N, then take sw.l and n to the lights. saves all the joints for the perm. L.

I'm with Tel. I don't understand why you would want to design an installation with unnecessary joints.

i'd feed to the switch first, L and N, then take sw.l and n to the lights. saves all the joints for the perm. L.

The problem I see with that is that the feed to the room is already in place from before, cut to length, partly plastered in the wall and not close to where the switch is, so I would need to join another cable to it to get it to the switch anyway. Also, if I'm not misunderstanding, your idea would require two cables going to the switch. So in the case of the room I am working in I would have to chase another long channel in some plaster to accommodate that.

Also the problem I have with daisy-chaining between fittings in this case is that they are quire spread out and it would require a lot of cable, hence me trying to run cable to the middle between two fittings and then split off from there.

I am not trying to be difficult or ignore your advice, I know you guys know more than me and that is why I am here asking for advice and the wiring doesn't already have plasterboard over it.

I will take another look at the physical space tonight when I am home from work and see whether I can make any changes to remove some of the buried connections but in terms of safety and regs is what I have done currently OK? Also, I assume I have wired it up correctly, if not I am guessing someone would have already told me?

Thanks.

I'm with Lee and Tel, I know you are a DIYer, but you have been given sound advice, which you seem reluctant to take for the sake of a few extra chases and more cable.

Installing it the way of the advice would eliminate the use of Wagos, yes they are MF but Murphy's law comes into play, if you have a potential for faults it's going to be with the Wagos and if they are buried, more work and expense to dig them out and repair, my advice would be to take the advice you have been given, it makes sense. Good luck with your project.

I'm with Lee and Tel, I know you are a DIYer, but you have been given sound advice, which you seem reluctant to take for the sake of a few extra chases and more cable.

Installing it the way of the advice would eliminate the use of Wagos, yes they are MF but Murphy's law comes into play, if you have a potential for faults it's going to be with the Wagos and if they are buried, more work and expense to dig them out and repair, my advice would be to take the advice you have been given, it makes sense. Good luck with your project.

OK, fair enough. So what should I do about the feed cable, given its length and position, just connect a new cable to it with the Wago connectors?

Also the problem I have with daisy-chaining between fittings in this case is that they are quire spread out and it would require a lot of cable, hence me trying to run cable to the middle between two fittings and then split off from there.

is this a bathroom or a swimming pool?

OK, fair enough. So what should I do about the feed cable, given its length and position, just connect a new cable to it with the Wago connectors?

Can you provide us with a rough drawing of the room layout, and also remember that any wiring within a bathroom, or cables running through the bathroom require RCD protection, a room layout with dims would help.

is this a bathroom or a swimming pool?

Haha. Yeah, OK, I had just about enough cable to do it the way I was proposing and to do it your way I would have to go buy more, plus I have 50 of the Wago connectors so using a few extra wasn't really a problem!

Can you provide us with a rough drawing of the room layout, and also remember that any wiring within a bathroom, or cables running through the bathroom require RCD protection, a room layout with dims would help.

Room is about 2x3m. Cable is from the RCD, ends about 1.5m from where the new switch will be on a perpendicular wall.

So, do I just join another piece of cable to the feed cable with the connectors I have in order to get the length I need to run it to the switch?

exten existing cable to switch with wagos in enclosure above ceiling. then feed out from switch daisy chaining the lights. might be an idea to switch them independently using a 2 gang switch.as for cost, a 50m drum of 1.0mm is only ÂŁ15 or so.

I realise most of us are aware, but the work the OP is proposing is in what is classed as a room with a bath or a shower and will need to be notified to the LABC, only just thought of this.
I don't feel comfortable in advising someone who is obviously not Electrically competent to do work in this area, although I wish him well and hope he gets it sorted, thinking about it, he should get the work done by an Electrician

Reply to Lighting Circuit Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net