Discuss Lighting Circuits Q. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dom.

-
Reaction score
How does this work? All the light switches are wired like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/dominicgraywolf/Coursework?authuser=0&feat=directlink

It looks like a two way switch but then there should only be three wires: 2 strappers & N.

It looks like a ring main with two L & two N. But only one L comes out. So why put two N in?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum ... I can always email my tutor on Monday.

Thanks!

Dom.

Attachments

• Light switches.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 59
Is this a quiz ?
You are fine with your assumptions
There is not enough information to give any reasonable answer
Every answer would have the proviso "IF"

There is no information on what is the number of cables,there could be a single core,there could be 2 brown/blues
The blues could be unmarked lives or switched lives,they could be neutrals that have been connected incorrectly
There could be a 3 core made up of a brown/blue and a single brown,again with unidentified blue lives and a brown/blue feed and switch wire

Its a bum question with no sensible answer.its nonesense and whoever sets this type of question up for anybody trying to get to grips with electrics ought to find another occupation

Even the question asks is this a fault or not,it would be a cocked up piece of installation whatever way it was looked at,never a fault as such,that would imply that it was right in the first place

Where did they come up with this load of junk

Looks like the cpc into common and line and neutral (not sleeved as switch live) into L1 and L2.

If this is a course you're doing, i'd get your money back, big waste of time

The question is faulty or not Answer Faulty.
Why line conductors not correctly identified - no brown sleeving
How is it wired difficult from limited info but it could be a one way to two way conversion with a Brown and blue original from the light fitting L1 and L2 a second brown and blue to the second 2 way switch again L1 and L2 with a single brown wired into the common going to the common on the second switch. Bottom line NO brown sleeving non compliance with BS7671

The question is faulty or not Answer Faulty.

Sorry,but I dont agree with the word faulty
faulty a definition

an accidental condition that causes a functional unit to fail to perform its required function

The whole of the question and the information supplied is in my opinion a load of nonesense
Anybody could imply anything about that picture and could be right with that guesswork

There is no answer other than fail whatever the circumstances,whether its all switch wires and no id or whether its cocked up wiring
The whole point of training is to teach electrics,this will teach no one anything, and is a complete and utter waste of a trainees time

Can I re-iterate that ALL the switches are like this, so I'll assume the answer is NOT FAULTY! (your honor ;o) )

Based on the assumption that is was NOT FAULTY I wanted to know if wiring like this was familiar to anyone.

I've heard of "Wiring At The Switch" (as well as to joint boxes and pendants), I just wanted to know how it's done, cos clearly that photo makes no sense of it.

If that wiring is not familiar to anyone it's no biggy. Diolch/Thank You for so many replying so quickly. I will be back with more questions very soon!!

He are examples of some the faults:
https://picasaweb.google.com/dominicgraywolf/Coursework?authuser=0&feat=directlink

So generally, the faults are quite obvious.

oh that picture is from the T4ts course. load of rubbish mate. don't bother doing it. its not faulty as such they are switch wires that ant sleeved. don't waste your time in trying to get your head a round it ,

and welcome

and to cap it all, the q. asks if the appliance is faulty or not. what appliance?

Last edited:
oh that picture is from the T4ts course. load of rubbish mate. don't bother doing it. its not faulty as such they are switch wires that ant sleeved. don't waste your time in trying to get your head a round it ,

and welcome

Well, THEY ARE going to put me through my C&G 2357, 2377, 2383-10, & Part P Full so anyone, please feel free to PM me with any tips to help me pass if you have a moment.

Sincerely

Dom.

Part P full, don't let this make you think you then don't need to sheel out 500 quid on joining on of the schemes once you pass this course.

It does make you wonder have good their training actually is if they are giving you questions that mean nothing at all.

Good luck and wish you well on getting your quals

Well, THEY ARE going to put me through my C&G 2357, 2377, 2383-10, & Part P Full so anyone, please feel free to PM me with any tips to help me pass if you have a moment.

Sincerely

Dom.

Dom
what your best in doing is if your not sure on anything just ask the guys on here. some of lads can really help you out more then your learn from most books, some even go the extra mile to find you past papers and other usefull bits and bobs,

Reply to Lighting Circuits Q. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net