Discuss Lighting in hospital... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Noob2013

Hi all,

Is there any regulations for the type of light fittings used in patient areas in a hospital?

I have seen a lot of 600 x 600 grid fittings with the reflective open diffusers where you can see the tubes. The amount of dust collected is disgusting.

Should they not be sealed as surely this is an infection control risk?

Depends where the open light fittings are fitted. Waiting areas and other general communal areas no real restrictions apply...

A completely different situation would apply for say, operating theatres, patient wards, treatment rooms, etc,etc....

Depends where the open light fittings are fitted. Waiting areas and other general communal areas no real restrictions apply...

A completely different situation would apply for say, operating theatres, patient wards, treatment rooms, etc,etc....
its like eng says, in theatres and cat3 labs etc there completely sealed units and the celing is sealed as well so no grids etc

your not allowed in them till they have been deep cleaned mate, they pump the room full of nasty chemicals, then draw it out with extract fans
Yeah the wards are deep cleaned once a year and the intensive treatment rooms are cleaned after each infectious patient.

However, once a year is a long time for germs to spread and when the intensive treatments rooms are cleaned, they don't have the the "bombing" machine with all the chemicals.

Yeah the wards are deep cleaned once a year and the intensive treatment rooms are cleaned after each infectious patient.

However, once a year is a long time for germs to spread and when the intensive treatments rooms are cleaned, they don't have the the "bombing" machine with all the chemicals.
they had the bombing machine when we did the last job on isolation ward refurb

that was kind of differnet though because they wanted to clean all the ducting etc before the hepa filter

I agree but the intensive treatment ward and wards have open unsealed grids.

IMO it's a big infection risk

What are we talking about grid ceilings or open unsealed grid light fittings?? If the later, Not in any hospital i've ever been involved in!!

Perhaps an enquiry letter to the infection control officer is in order if what you're saying is correct!!

What are we talking about grid ceilings or open unsealed grid light fittings?? If the later, Not in any hospital i've ever been involved in!!

Perhaps an enquiry letter to the infection control officer is in order if what you're saying is correct!!
most of our work is on hospitals and ceiling grids are not usually sealed, there are usually plastic defusers sealing them completely from the room below so how can dust gather?

now in low risk/estates department there might be unsealed fittings but there not a problem.

the hospitals im ttalking about are ones that cant afford to have the asbestos ripped out so they have sealed rooms off till they can.

now if you have seen these problems you should mention them

Reply to Lighting in hospital... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net