Discuss ELP emergency light downlighters in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has come across these downlighters at all? Trying to change all the batteries and inverters for a client, i don't have too much problem removing them from the plasterboard ceiling but putting them back up is a nightmare! The wings on the side of the fitting either don't engage on contact to the plasterboard when putting it back in the ceiling or one nanages to by complete chance leaving the fitting lopsided.

Never usually have any trouble fitting a downlighter back into a ceiling but the design of these ones are kind of baffling me and not sure what iam doing wrong. Main lighting on 600x 600 fittings I've completed and got about 25 of these ones to do. Can't reach to access the control box to the gear inside from the false ceiling on any of them some can only be accessed from the plasterboard ceiling.

Had to put one back with a wedge of cardboard and another with double sided adhesive tape, don't really want to do either of this methods especially the double sided tap one incase the fitting needs to be taken down which is why I came on here to try and seek some help or advice. Going to contact ELP to see if they can point me in the right direction but meantime I've included some photos of the downlighter and any help or advice would be really appreciated.
20220924_123555.jpg
20220924_123555.jpg
20220924_123408.jpg
20220924_123408.jpg

Attachments

• 20220924_122806.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
They need fixing from above. I assume the silver bit slides up the bronze runner uncoiling the spring?

I've never fitted these but I see how they function. I suspect they were free running and sprung back down. Try oiling them or rubbing a carbon pencil along them and see if it frees them.

How free does it move on the slider I assume it doesn't go back on its own.
I've only done two of these downlighters at the moment kind of reluctant to do anymore if I can't put them back in the ceiling properly. The one I wedged up with cardboard was fine it was free up and down the slider, on one side the wing seemed to engaged by chance on contact inside the ceiling void, the other side despite me moving the fitting so the wing would contact on the plasterboard ceiling wouldn't enagage at all.

Someone had been messing around before with the other fitting I took out as it wasn't sitting flush to the ceiling. When I pushed the wings up they wouldn't disengage back down again, its like it jammed/seized up and so I had to use double sided tape to hold the fitting back up to the ceiling. What's the chances I could exchange these type springs for what you see on those recessed panel fittings?

Try a pencil first go and buy a 6B or softer oil may make no difference but then again nor may the pencil.

Probably going to need an art shop or Amazon get a 6 to 8B. Might not work but graphite is very slippery.

Just rub along where it slides on each other where friction takes place it may not work but just keep applying and sliding it to see if it frees it.

Reply to ELP emergency light downlighters in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net