Discuss Lighting with key switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just been asked to install a lighting circuit in singles in round plastic conduit but also have a grid switch with an emergency key switch to an emergency light. Trouble is and I know some of you may be thinking how is he even qualified but I've never used singles. Ive been a house basher all my time Is it possible someone could give me a step by step?? Do you take the feed to the em light then to other lights and have seperate switches? Be nice please guys

Have you tried searching for forum for info?
It's frowned upon to give 'step by step' advice on here.
Do a search and come back and tell us how you think you should do it. This will give you knowledge and we can correct anything then or suggest better ways.

I've just been asked to install a lighting circuit in singles in round plastic conduit but also have a grid switch with an emergency key switch to an emergency light. Trouble is and I know some of you may be thinking how is he even qualified but I've never used singles. Ive been a house basher all my time Is it possible someone could give me a step by step?? Do you take the feed to the em light then to other lights and have seperate switches? Be nice please guys
the advantage of using singles is that you can take L to switch and S/L to fittings, taking the N direct to the fittings. now work out what does what and come up with a sketch. we can then advise if it's OK or needs improvement.

From my experience it’s also got me in the client’s good books by wiring into the switch first and then into the key switch, so when the annual inspection/flick tests are done only the emergency lights are only affected. Otherwise the inspections will need to be done out of hours.
Also if they are unspecified as maintained or non maintained, I think it’s best to future proof and wire as maintained at all emergency points just incase. Little expense at this stage! As for wiring the circuit, it’s simple stuff.

From my experience it’s also got me in the client’s good books by wiring into the switch first and then into the key switch, so when the annual inspection/flick tests are done only the emergency lights are only affected. Otherwise the inspections will need to be done out of hours.

The wiring should be carried out in accordance with current standards not just what gets you in the clients good books.
Testing will probably need to be done out of hours regardless as you need to allow enough time for the batteries to fully charge before the building is occupied again. That is unless other arrangements are made to provide emergency lighting whilst the batteries are re-charging.

the advantage of using singles is that you can take L to switch and S/L to fittings, taking the N direct to the fittings.
Completely agree. When using singles, the permanent-line usually goes directly to the switch rather than the light.
In all honesty it doesn't strictly matter, the advantage of using singles is that your circuits can be shorter, by connecting from A-B directly instead of requiring additional planning to efficiently use cable.

Testing will probably need to be done out of hours regardless as you need to allow enough time for the batteries to fully charge before the building is occupied again. That is unless other arrangements are made to provide emergency lighting whilst the batteries are re-charging.
A very good point! While occupants are present, the emergency lighting must have enough charge to allow operation for a set amount of time, should such a scenario take place.

My only other advice regarding singles is to ensure line and neutral run through the same orifice of a metallic enclosure to avoid eddy-currents.

Completely agree. When using singles, the permanent-line usually goes directly to the switch rather than the light.
In all honesty it doesn't strictly matter, the advantage of using singles is that your circuits can be shorter, by connecting from A-B directly instead of requiring additional planning to efficiently use cable.

A very good point! While occupants are present, the emergency lighting must have enough charge to allow operation for a set amount of time, should such a scenario take place.

My only other advice regarding singles is to ensure line and neutral run through the same orifice of a metallic enclosure to avoid eddy-currents.
They would have to if the lights were wired in conduit, you wouldn't normally use singles any other way, I did say NORMALLY

They would have to if the lights were wired in conduit, you wouldn't normally use singles any other way, I did say NORMALLY
I'm specifically talking about this example using conduit :thumbsup:

You been on holiday @I2C ?
11 days...wow... I forget stuff after 30 mins....

Reply to Lighting with key switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net