Discuss Link between N - CPC on fluorescent... what is it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
DSC_1304.jpg

Hello folks,

I hope the picture shows ok. If it does not show, then basically there is a blue disc approx 25mm in diameter that may have a resistor or something in it. It is approx 4mm ' thick'.

The blue disc is linking between neutral and earth on the fitting. Never noticed these before and the casing of the fitting is live when energised, which is not good!

Fluorescent's puzzle me at the best of times!

Thanks.

i'd have expected that to be across L and N. and what means are you using to determine that the casing is live?

Thanks Daz,

Can these be omitted. Only one fitting out of five in total had it in. And didn't have time to check thoroughly but it may be causing a N-E fault.

Thanks

Agree with tel above, should be across L & N like capacitor for PF correction...maybe its a dummy load "thingy" usually installed for some makes of PIR switch although should still be between L&N.

load "thing" = load capacitor

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Tel, bit short on time so will get back to you later but was initially doing an R2 to the fittings and all CPCs were open cct. Bit puzzled as this cct rewired 4 years ago. Found the problem at switch where no continuity between CPCs. Anyway, when the lights were on I touched the casing and got a tingle. So tested with mft and a fluke t5 between MET and the casing. Got 230v both times.

Thanks

At the top of the picture it looks like your earth is not connected.
The capacitor is a transient voltage arrestor (cheap fittings).
If your fitting is showing live at all times then you need to check polarity, even as far back as the meter.
So, no earth, capacitor across live (blue wire) and case.
Boydy

At the top of the picture it looks like your earth is not connected.
The capacitor is a transient voltage arrestor (cheap fittings).
If your fitting is showing live at all times then you need to check polarity, even as far back as the meter.
So, no earth, capacitor across live (blue wire) and case.
Boydy
it is connected...the earth tag is at the bottom of the connector block...as is the twin`s CPC...

top of pic is missing. looks like some connectable has been done.ion/extension of c

It is as stated earlier a surge suppressor, but it has been install incorrectly. Should be across L & N. Only really used to protect sensitive electronic equipment, such as alarms and psu`s....wont do any harm removing it from a fluorescent fitting.

Hi,

Maybe my eyesight, but is that a brown ( live ) cable connected into the Neutral terminal. Hard to determine without seeing the full picture of the fluorescent wiring, and yes; the capacitor should be L-N.

Regards.

Thanks for all responses folks.

The CPC is connected and the live does not go into the neutral. The other twin is looping to another florry.

The fittings are cheap and the trunking work is the worst I have ever seen. Apparently the, ahem, 'spark', ahem, that installed it disappeared midway through the rewire around four years ago.

The fitting is only live when switched.

I do recall something now from college a few years back about PF correction when I think about it.

Thanks again one and all.

Reply to Link between N - CPC on fluorescent... what is it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net