Discuss List of High Quality Tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DanielGemmell

Hi, i am a first year apprentice and i all ready have a ck magma toolkit but a few things have broke or rusted.

i am looking to buy a new tool set and bag
can someone please provide me with a lost of high quality tools that i will need
Cost is not an issue

Thanks

All metal tools will rust if they get wet and stay wet.

Otherwise knipex are a good brand for pliers grips cutters etc.

Bahco for spanners and socket sets.
Wickes own screwdrivers are good enough.
Stanley's yellow hacksaw is good and lasts.
What else do you think you will need?

I'm a first year too. If I have to borrow a tool a couple of times then I buy my own as there is no point buying things that you will never use. This is a list of some of the tools I have built up since I started in July:
· CK Mgma MA2630 Toolbag
· Bahco 5pc Screwdrivers
· Stanley VDE side cutters, combination pliers, long nose pliers
· Irwin Vise-grip 10” waterpump pliers
· CK box re-threader
· Stanley Bluestrike hammer
· Bolster chisel
· Wood Chisel
· Cold Chisel
· Stanley Allen key set
· Fluke T50
· Di-Log volt stick
· Stanley Tin snips
· CK Cable stripper
· Stanley Knife
· Stanley Jab Saw
· Stanley 12” Hacksaw
· Irwin Junior Hacksaw
· Draper Gas Soldering Iron
· Small organiser box for screws, raw plugs, plasterboard fixings, clips, crimps, grommets, etc
· 6” file
· Tape measure
· Draper spirit level
· Stanley 18v combi drill
· LED headtorch
· 24 LED torch
· 2 Stanley Stubby screwdrivers and 2 thin screwdrivers
· 2 Stanley long screwdrivers
· 1 Magnetic pick up tool
· Dewalt 32pc screwdriver bit set
· 20mm Holesaw, spade bits, drill bits

Hi, i am a first year apprentice and i all ready have a ck magma toolkit but a few things have broke or rusted.

can someone please provide me with a lost of high quality tools that i will need
Cost is not an issue

Thanks

If cost is no issue and you are looking at a new bag I'm sure some of the other members on here will agree veto pro pac I'm a service engineer I have the lc and also the meter pouch and I'm now tempted by the one similar to the ck where can carry laptop in centre compartment

Screwdrivers at the minute I'm using wickes own(draper expert in disguise) and bahco snips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cost is not an issue

Thanks

If cost is no issue and you are looking at a new bag I'm sure some of the other members on here will agree veto pro pac I'm a service engineer I have the lc and also the meter pouch and I'm now tempted by the one similar to the ck where can carry laptop in centre compartment

Screwdrivers at the minute I'm using wickes own(draper expert in disguise) and bahco snips

I just bought the lt bag. It a brilliant piece of kit !!

I've been looking funnily enough on eBay and appears to be a couple of variants, on the lt is there pockets for a few basic hand tools ie couple screwdrivers pliers snips and multimeter? I have the ck style bag at the moment and if I'm not using laptop the centre compartment is brilliant for job sheet pads etc

better to get tools individually

dont buy the same side cutters (snips) that you got in that pack

better to buy a larger set e.g. 200mm instead of 160mm cutters

you might not apreciate it now but if your using a lot of larger cable e.g 6mm/sil flex etx you will appreciate the extra leverage

pop into a wholesalers/tool place and try them to see what you prefer in your hand.

once you know what you like you can replace them by buying replacements over the internet.

if you buy quality gear e.g. knipex grips they will last years.

if you dont buy quality gear then you will have to replace them every couple months to a year and struggle to use some of it as well

add those too, 8 quid a bargain, they last at least till you loose them,
Cable Cutters 254mm | NoLinkingToThis
good for cutting 6mm, meter tails etc where pair of nice shiney vde cutters will struggle.

If you want top gear I'd go.
SDS drills - Hilti
Cordless gear - milwaukee
Snips, pliers, grips - knipex
Adjustable's - bacho
Hacksaw - facom
Screw drivers ... I have CK, but a few good ones out there.
Tool bag... Veto pro, no contest
Fluke t1000 volt testers.
If your going to do domestic and learn how to plaster chases, get a god trowel ... Marshalltown

HTH

Ste

Pipe grips or waterpump pliers as they are also known are very usefull,but get the rothenberger ones as they have a button that you push to open them,this stops them pinching your hand.Also at the end of every day give your tools a clean down and if damp use a rag with some wd40 on.Remember look after your tools as they earn your living,some of us older sparks have tools from years ago as we were taught to look after them.

The best things ever, are the Bosch Progressor quick change hole saws. Set of those and your laughing.

And for drivers, i love my set of Irazola Techno's. Nice long shafts...... (easy now lads) and sturdy.The long shaft............ Gives you that extra torque to really ensure your terminations are good.

Dewatl 18v combi's are always on offer and usually with a couple of spare batteries, IMHO the dewalt XRP is total and utter garbage, heavy as hell so over head work is a bugger, the gear box's in them are made from balsa wood or something and seem to fail when faced with anything more than plasterboard and i generally feel that for the money for a premium drill as it claims to be, its pants. I would buy 2 18v standard combis that would accumulate 4 batteris in that cost, over an XRP any day with one lithium. But hey, others im sure may love their XRP's, i just seem to have had serious issue with them.

Another handy thing to know is erbauer, although consiered a cheap tool, are actually pretty solidly built, rarely fail, well priced and come to a 2 year warranty in which they replace any tool for any reason next working day and Screwfix, for all their faults, will replace on the spot. Now thats a handy service. Dewalt however, take forever.

As mentioned Knipex are the dogs danglies, but cost a penny, you will never need to replace them, unless some scrot bad half inches em. They will outlast you.

I've been looking funnily enough on eBay and appears to be a couple of variants, on the lt is there pockets for a few basic hand tools ie couple screwdrivers pliers snips and multimeter? I have the ck style bag at the moment and if I'm not using laptop the centre compartment is brilliant for job sheet pads etc

Hi yes the lt has a few sections for some small tools and a meter. The xlt has a lot more room than that also.

Reply to List of High Quality Tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net