Discuss Local Rag or Yellow Pages in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

yellow pages is a complete waste of money ( except for cutting up and hanging in the bog. ) . thompson local is a bit better.

where i am, there are 4 different yellow pages directories for my local area. i would have to be in all 4.at 4 x the price! and 2 of them cover way outside where i want to work. useless with a capital S.

Excellent Amp! Problem is I'm bartering with these fools as prices are extortionate atm. £38 per week for a black & white box 3cm2. Got it down to £23 so far I want it for less though

I ended up paying around 25 quid a week, for the same. Sounded a lot at first but each week it more than paid for itself.

Could almost guarantee that towards each weekend the phone would start ringing with customers wanting work done. (Paper gets delivered on a Thursday)

I found the good point also is that if you want to take a break with the ad, then they will keep the ad on hold at the same price or if you decided to advertise for a longer period, then wanted to cancel, they would refund the unused weeks. Try that with the yellow pages!

Mate is in Yellow pages in Leeds. Big city with a hell of a lot of potential customers. Cost him over £750 for the duration, it has generated him the princely sum of £25. I am on Yell.com, and get sod all as well.

Gumtree, and other free sites will get you more work. The first time i went on Gumtree back in November i got near on £3000 of work and it cost nothing.

Cheers..........Howard

No to yellow pages! As with the other posts, load of pants, Thomson not much better. I spend £40 per week on local paper....................FANTASTIC!

Mate is in Yellow pages in Leeds. Big city with a hell of a lot of potential customers. Cost him over £750 for the duration, it has generated him the princely sum of £25. I am on Yell.com, and get sod all as well.

Gumtree, and other free sites will get you more work. The first time i went on Gumtree back in November i got near on £3000 of work and it cost nothing.

Cheers..........Howard

howard, how do you get on gumtree?

done it. easy peasy. thanks. listed as cheshire electrician

IMO yellow pages has had it's day as it's too expensive for the possible return you will achieve and thats not limited to our industry, how many people on here pick up a paper directory to source a local supplier or service so place your advertising where you would look for local supplier or service. As others have said the web is the way forward although the cheapest advertising is still word of mouth from satisfied customers

Anything to do with yellow pages is TOO....
old
expensive

Marketing is a potential minefield. Best advice I can give is to go for as much free advertising and marketing you can, it can only be cost effective. Use the local rag to keep public awareness.

I do yell.com and spent about £2k a year it has always worked for me and generated about £60k not a bad return if you know how to use it properley

Reply to Local Rag or Yellow Pages in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net