Discuss Loop lighting circuit? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bridge-Burner

Hi,
I've just done my 206 exam which involved a loop lighting circuit so you can switch the light on and off with both switches. It's basically two switches using 3-core wire. Then from the c/u, twin and earth to the light fitting. Then there are two browns in the loop part of the light fitting, going to the switches I think? What I can't remember is in what order the two loop browns go to the switches. Are they the ones that go into the common? There is l1 and l2 on both of the switches as well. I am guessing that the l1's and l2's just have to match the wire in both switches with the three core?
I found it a bit confusing but did it somehow.
I just want to be able to remember without having to look at a diagram etc.
Any diagrams would be of a great help.
Cheers

3 core links the switches. tghe 2 browns from the light go to L1 and L2 on switch 1 ( either way round )

you could just feed the switch (com) from cu, then match l1 and l2 up on the switches and the com on the second switcht to the light???

would you not waste cores if using 3 core? and thanks for politicvaly correcting me but you know me , dont know it is inside out, will do soon

yes, he's got the permanent feed at the light. T/E.

Hello, yes I am using t/e and 1.5mm wire from the c/u. I am using t/e and conduit going to the light. there are two switches. one with 5 wires and the other with 3. I just get mixed up about the layout. Want to remember it for future reference but i have a memory like a seive!

Hello, yes I am using t/e and 1.5mm wire from the c/u. I am using t/e and conduit going to the light. there are two switches. one with 5 wires and the other with 3. I just get mixed up about the layout. Want to remember it for future reference but i have a memory like a seive!

on the 3 core black common to common in each switch; on the switch with 3 wires the other 2 cables in L1 and L2 does'nt matter which way round, on the switch with 5 wires the other 4 wires ie 2 pairs, brown and brown (from alternate cables) to L1, brown and grey(from alternate cables) to L2

so in effect your live and switched live are connected into L1 and L2 respectively and doubled up respectively with the remaining 2 cores from the 3 core, the other cable in the 3 core going from common to common

2yo20w1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post thankyou!
Just a couple of things, I understand the 3 wire switch I think but the 5 wire switch is throwing me off a bit. So there are two lives from the light going to that switch? Is it one in L1 and one in L2? Then is there another live going from the light to the c/u, along with the Earth and Neutral?
Cheers

Excellent post thankyou!
Just a couple of things, I understand the 3 wire switch I think but the 5 wire switch is throwing me off a bit. So there are two lives from the light going to that switch? Is it one in L1 and one in L2? Then is there another live going from the light to the c/u, along with the Earth and Neutral?
Cheers

there is a live and a switched live as indicated on the diagram, the light gets wired/connected as normal , it is one in L1 with one of the cores of the 3 core cables and one in L2 with the other core of the 3 core cable, the final core of the 3 core cable goes from common to common, the diagram is simplistic and should be easy to follow

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Loop lighting circuit? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net