Discuss Common area lighting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

jim1954

DIY
Reaction score
I own two flats with a small common lobby. Although operable from both flats, the common lobby light appears to be wired to flat A's circuit. Rather than fit a landlord's common area meter and circuit, I am thinking of having flat B's lobby switch professionally disconnected from A's circuit and then have an additional light fitted in the lobby but wired on flat B's own circuit. I would also have both lobby lights low powered and time switch activated as part of the work.

For the sake of one light, Is this an acceptable way to overcome an otherwise costly installation of a landlord's meter from the utility supplier plus additional circuitry?

Thanks

just for fun,
a couple of LED light fittings may be 40W in total
if you use a couple of press to turn on timer switches then the lights are likely to be on for considerably less than 2 hours per day.

80Wh per day
80 x 365 = 29.2kwh of electricity per year
at 40 pence per unit that equates to ÂŁ11.70

have you thought about talking with the tenant in Flat A?
I think i would start the discussion with,

I have recently discovered that the hall light is fed from your meter, it is costing you in the region of ÂŁ12 per year.
you have been here for 5 years so here is a wad of cash ÂŁ60 + 20 for the inconvenience.
how about I bung you ÂŁ20 a year to cover it?

just for fun,
a couple of LED light fittings may be 40W in total
if you use a couple of press to turn on timer switches then the lights are likely to be on for considerably less than 2 hours per day.

80Wh per day
80 x 365 = 29.2kwh of electricity per year
at 40 pence per unit that equates to ÂŁ11.70

have you thought about talking with the tenant in Flat A?
I think i would start the discussion with,

I have recently discovered that the hall light is fed from your meter, it is costing you in the region of ÂŁ12 per year.
you have been here for 5 years so here is a wad of cash ÂŁ60 + 20 for the inconvenience.
how about I bung you ÂŁ20 a year to cover it?
Hi James,

Many thanks for your response and suggestions.

The only reservation I have about leaving things as they are and making a contribution to Flat A is periods of unoccupancy with the electric shut off/disconnected. Nevertheless, these times are few and far between and the irritation would be minor and certainly a lot cheaper than running cables etc.

Thanks again

Jim1954

Reply to Common area lighting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net