Discuss Low Energy T5 tubes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I recently fitted out a factory with T5s and it was a lot brighter than the originals. This is not scientific as the original double flos were well nacked, but it is certainly bright . In our office we have a single T5 and it is bright enough.

im not 100% up on the T5 tubes but if you compair the ratings example big 1 1/4 tubes were 60 watts T8's were 58 watts T5's are 54 watts so not a vast differance and they are in my experiance quite alot brighter ,this also depends on the colour white soft white warm white cool white daylight etc , but for energy saving the use of the HF ballasts they use makes a big differance

I have noticed that there is a big difference between T8 & T5 regarding wattage for the 5ft unit.
BUT the cost of the retro HF unit is very expensive and it looks like it will take some time in enegy saving to make up that cost.
Thats why I asked about the cost of ownership ?.
I shall look for more info.
Thanks for replies so far. Gordon.

reflectors come into play as well

-looking at replacing some twin corrosion proofs(t8 2*58 watt)

- with newer single corrosion proof(t5 1*49watt) with reflector

supplier reckons they're similar when you take into account reflector on 'new' single fitting

-not really my thing ,but i'm interested to try it anyhow

big saving when you take into account losses on old t8 twin

Last edited by a moderator:
reflectors come into play as well

-looking at replacing some twin corrosion proofs(t8 2*58 watt)

- with newer single corrosion proof(t5 1*49watt) with reflector

supplier reckons they're similar when you take into account internal reflector on 'new' single fitting

-not really my thing ,but i'm interested to try it anyhow

big saving when you take into account losses on old t8 twin

What supplier are you going through?

Been into near on all wholesalers within the portsmouth area and all they come up with is the saveiteasy option rather than complete fittings which is what I am after.

the running cost on switch start and HF are quite different when you take into account the energy consumed by the ballast ,the HF ballasts combined with the T5 tube can save quite alot of money ,if you take the design current for a switch start 70 watt tube it is
70 x 1.8 = 126 watts compaired to 70 on a HF ballast so in the long run do save money

the running cost on switch start and HF are quite different when you take into account the energy consumed by the ballast ,the HF ballasts combined with the T5 tube can save quite alot of money ,if you take the design current for a switch start 70 watt tube it is
70 x 1.8 = 126 watts compaired to 70 on a HF ballast so in the long run do save money

think it's 20% losses or so for old t8's

the 1.8 is a rough multiplier for cable size inc. PF and harmonics

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/6.2.1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Low Energy T5 tubes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net