• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Lucien's most challenging picture puzzle yet... what does this box do? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You've seen some curious stuff in my vintage picture puzzles before but what can you make of this black box? I want to know not only what's inside but also its main electrical specifications; there are two in particular for which I need the actual figures.

There will be a few picture clues to help you along...

Lucien's most challenging picture puzzle yet... what does this box do? Box on wall - EletriciansForums.net

Not a transformer. Here's your first clue:

Lucien's most challenging picture puzzle yet... what does this box do? Handwheel - EletriciansForums.net

Would it be a pressure/water head level switch sensor/switch? I'm guessing there is a pipe from the big one into the box and then the rusty small one is a vent to allow the water to rise.

The box is maybe a mile away and has no pipes connected to it, only cables.

No sumps or pumps needed here Pete. Although the clues provide information relating to the use of the box, they aren't necessarily part of its functionality.

Those robust metal stays and the strong wooden shelf do give the impression that the box contains a beefy transformer or ballast. In fact I was able to lift it off while standing on a stepladder and pass it down to someone.

Looks like the lid of the box has a lid which clamps down and possibly seals so that it is airtight?

No sumps or pumps needed here Pete. Although the clues provide information relating to the use of the box, they aren't necessarily part of its functionality.
I know, it's your tool box with all your best tools inside, I knew all along your just a closet tool tart. Or you have been to Oak Island and found the Templar Treasure.

Looking at picture in #6 one can see:

1. A view looking down to terra firma.
2. Large diameter pipe - so perhaps high volume and low pressure flow. So possibly water in it.
3. A small bore (1") vertical pipe above the larger pipe with a right angle bend into what might be a chamber. Thoughts are: an overflow?, vent?, pressure relief?, or connected to something else to sense level or pressure?
4. Midway up on the left side is what looks a bit like a copper earth electrode, so straight and regular it appears. Or is it a small bore pipe?

The thin thing is the handle of a rake, and the small pipe is a vent. These details aren't really of any importance. The presence and function of the big pipe help to set the scene and give some insight into the electrical situation that will become more apparent in the next pic. In the meantime, I have some work to do.

Reply to Lucien's most challenging picture puzzle yet... what does this box do? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back