Discuss LV Dimming problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cruelty

Hi have just finished a house and customers complaining about buzzing comming from lights and switch, using 12v halogen's and robus dimmable transformers and hamilton 400w dimmer and only 6 x 50w = 300w running

any suggestions on the problem or what can be done

Sometimes you do get a dimmer thats noisy, I have changed the dimmer for an exact same model and its ok then, also dont forget also that the lower they turn the lights down the louder it gets

always use a LV specific dimmer. MK, varialight or Lutron. make them.. not all dimmers are suitable for LV loads, they will be noisier and won't last as long as their LV counterparts.

if you can use the lutron 'rania' which are pricey ( around £50 ) ..they are silent dimmers...and amazing bits of kit. they sell them in screwfix but you can find cheaper online

Last edited by a moderator:
always use a LV specific dimmer. MK, varialight or Lutron. make them.. not all dimmers are suitable for LV loads, they will be noisier and won't last as long as their LV counterparts.

if you can use the lutron 'rania' which are pricey ( around £50 ) ..they are silent dimmers...and amazing bits of kit. they sell them in screwfix but you can find cheaper online

Without wishing to fall out with The Truth, we had a lot of probems with these and they did get replaced a couple of times.

anyone else similar problems? heard it's mostly about the transformers you use and the brand of bulb? any truth in this? as i said before buzzing coming from switch and lights, the buzzing is just noticable at switch but very noticable coming from light fittings

its normally a standard dimmer switch controlling a cheap transformer and the two of them not getting along.

I don't have this problem because i only use OSRAM HTM70 transformers which are the best you can buy and compatible with anything. They meet the eurpoean quality standard called VDE ( look for the label ) which you will not find on most trannys because they are simply not made to the same high specification required to meet the standard. Expect to pay around £7 for these. Also see MODE Lighting transformers which are also top spec. I don't fit anything else.

Dimmers- again only fit an LV suitable dimmer MK, varialight or Lutron

lamps - use a branded lamp such as phillips, osram and you will be fine.

i look after a couple of high-end Hotels and restaurants in London with the above combination of equipment and i swear by it. Check out the Luton dimmer for SILENT operation.

Reply to LV Dimming problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net