Discuss Made a big mistake on a job need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I think i was rushing to fit a new light fitting. And got some cables trapped . Long story short light fitting smoked and went black. Have replaced fitting but really knocked my confidence is this just part of the job.feeling like a damn cowboy

I take it that only the light fitting was damaged and not any of the cable?

Unfortunately, that is why a skilled or a Competent person with Electrical knowledge is required & especially in the workplace a senior member of staff is no substitute to being Skilled. Makes me wonder if you have heard of the Electricity at Work Act & various HSE requirements in the workplace.

I doubt anyone on here hasn't made a mistake which could easily have been avoided, it happens. Someone should have run a test across the circuit but it sounds like they didn't. We all learn from things like this and you will be more cautious in the future it won't take long to forget about it.
Trust me that wasn't a big mistake.

I can say with absolute certainty that everyone makes mistakes, no matter how experienced or how long they've been doing the job.
If ever anyone denies that they've made a mistake or 2 or more then either they are lying or haven't realised they have and someone else found it.
This applies to everyone in every field of work.

I'm now retired and made plenty of mistakes over the years, plenty of minor, occassionally a major / expensive one.

I must admit I was expecting something a lot worse than that when I saw the post title.

Everyone on here will have made mistakes, it's just part of being human. It's learning from them that is the important bit.

All part of the learning curve ....... its a bit like a rainbow that you cant find the end of ....... so you'll never stop learning.
As said previously, everyone makes mistakes at sometime or other in their lives so just put it down to experience!

2871163-John-Wooden-Quote-A-mistake-is-valuable-if-you-do-four-things-with.jpg

aas said by others, he who never made a mistake never made Jack Shyte. luckily for me, my memorable mistakes were nail or screw thgrough a water pipe (twice) and a drill through a gas pipe (once). gas was easiest as there was no flooding to cause dasmage or clean up. Gas off. pipe cut, couple of soldered joints and tested for leaks with a smoke lighter. OK, but I'm still here aren't I?

Reply to Made a big mistake on a job need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net