Search the forum,

Discuss Mainly for the more aged Forum Members in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been reminiscing through the Red wine mist, and it took me back to October 1962, for the younger Members, the Cuban Missile Crisis (I urge you to watch "13 Days" Kevin Costner film).

It was a time when the West nearly came to blows with the Soviet Bloc using Nuclear Missiles, or Armageddon as it would have been.

I can remember vividly where I was at this time 18 going on 19 scared whitless, just wondering if other Guys have memories of that time in our history? the Politicians of that time on bothsides did the world a big favour, if you don't know the history get hold of the film and watch and see how lucky you are to be living today.

I was thinking today about JFK ,its a good thing the man stud up to the red skis its a shame he's dead .we had a mad man think he could take over the world ,not forgetting the Nipponese and one man bear hugger from redskies flexing his mussels ,one word n**.

Year before I was born Pete but like you my parents remember it well. V bombers on standby. Scary stuff! Now days we’re probably being manipulated by the net.

I wasn't around in the 60's, but I bet it was a better than living in the second half of the 40's.

I remember the 80's fondly as a kid... The stuff going on in the news then didn't really sink in.
Now we've got ISIS, north korea and putin being difficult.

I worked on an RAF base, and they do have fighter jets on standby all the time, even now.

But then you have to remember it was triggered by NATO also building a missile site in Turkey. The Russians retaliated by basing missiles in Cuba.

A member of the American cabinet at the time said that some General's were in favour of an all out nuclear war. Yes they would loose the Eastern Seaboard but ultimately they would obliterate Russia from the map.

But then you have to remember it was triggered by NATO also building a missile site in Turkey. The Russians retaliated by basing missiles in Cuba.

A member of the American cabinet at the time said that some General's were in favour of an all out nuclear war. Yes they would loose the Eastern Seaboard but ultimately they would obliterate Russia from the map.
Typical Americans shoot first and sxd the consequenses

Nobody would win in a Nuclear conflict, MAD Mutual Assured Destruction.

Well that was what Kennedy and his Chief of Staff McNamara thought. They realised a diplomatic solution was the only answer. Robert Kennedy actually advised JFK to privately acknowledge that they would dismantle the Turkish missile sites a year later.

Their own military were talking about taking casualties in the millions but the end justified the means. They believed that there would be enough of an American population left to claim a victory. These Generals were the Hawk of Hawks.

Do you think that putin and Kim will use nukes with all this trouble in the world?
No.

Putin just wants to maintain the status quo. He has developed weapons to the extent he is ahead of the Americans. The West have behaved badly over the last five years, he is just trying to reassert himself

Kim Jung Un he has marched himself up a hill and he needs a bit of help to wriggle back down the hill.

I wasn't around in the 60's, but I bet it was a better than living in the second half of the 40's.

I remember the 80's fondly as a kid... The stuff going on in the news then didn't really sink in.
Now we've got ISIS, north korea and putin being difficult.

I worked on an RAF base, and they do have fighter jets on standby all the time, even now.

What do you mean we have ISIS..? in Northern Ireland in 1972- 353 people were killed. In 1988 at Lockerbie 270 people were killed we've never had it so good these days.

The 80's were the days of terror I was living in London at the time don't believe what you read or hear in the media. Be scared we will take away more of your rights keep paying your taxes...

In the last 10 years 400 people have died in police custody that's 40 a year. 0 Police convicted of wrong doing. Between 2010 and 2017 there have been 49 deaths due to terror related incidents.

Who kills more...

What do you mean we have ISIS..? in Northern Ireland in 1972- 353 people were killed. In 1988 at Lockerbie 270 people were killed we've never had it so good these days.

The 80's were the days of terror I was living in London at the time don't believe what you read or hear in the media. Be scared we will take away more of your rights keep paying your taxes...

In the last 10 years 400 people have died in police custody that's 40 a year. 0 Police convicted of wrong doing. Between 2010 and 2017 there have been 49 deaths due to terror related incidents.

Who kills more...

49 is not correct, there has been over 100

There has always been terrorists in one form or another.

The OP was commenting on the state of the world in the past. I was saying that there's not much difference now.

When these acts of violence happen, people die. It matters not if its 1, 10, 100 or 1000. It shouldn't happen.

Ignore the scaremongering, but be vigilant.

Heres a question.
Would you report an unattended bag at a busy major city airport or train station?

...A certain 1940's Japanese Emperor would not concur...:)

You lot need to be less concerned about terrorists,rogue leaders and arms proliferation,and more concerned regarding data holding,and no new antibiotics in the last 40 years...;)

...A certain 1940's Japanese Emperor would not concur...:)

You lot need to be less concerned about terrorists,rogue leaders and arms proliferation,and more concerned regarding data holding,and no new antibiotics in the last 40 years...;)
PEG respect your post, but the dropping of the 2 Atomic weapons to put an end to needless slaughter on both sides, is in my opinion a tatally different scenario, as the Empire of Japan, did not own / posses any form of Nuclear weaponry, so there no chance of a retaliatory attack from Japan, so no MAD was possible.
As for DATA holding and an Antibiotic ban, I'm not sure, I fully understand your concerns, admitedly there are some concerns, but not as concerning as being burnt to a crisp by Russian or North Korean Nukes.

PEG respect your post, but the dropping of the 2 Atomic weapons to put an end to needless slaughter on both sides, is in my opinion a tatally different scenario, as the Empire of Japan, did not own / posses any form of Nuclear weaponry, so there no chance of a retaliatory attack from Japan, so no MAD was possible.
As for DATA holding and an Antibiotic ban, I'm not sure, I fully understand your concerns, admitedly there are some concerns, but not as concerning as being burnt to a crisp by Russian or North Korean Nukes.

Respect dude:)

I would not be too worried about being crisped,by two countries, who are effectively bankrupt...the spending being concentrated on a small section of controlled interest.
A countries population,will remain hungry and supportive,for only so long...regardless of penalties and patriotism.

History has taught us,it is always,always,about the money ;)

Been reminiscing through the Red wine mist, and it took me back to October 1962, for the younger Members, the Cuban Missile Crisis (I urge you to watch "13 Days" Kevin Costner film).

It was a time when the West nearly came to blows with the Soviet Bloc using Nuclear Missiles, or Armageddon as it would have been.

I can remember vividly where I was at this time 18 going on 19 scared whitless, just wondering if other Guys have memories of that time in our history? the Politicians of that time on bothsides did the world a big favour, if you don't know the history get hold of the film and watch and see how lucky you are to be living today.

A bit before my time..

I have a cousin who served in the Queens Dragoon Guards (Tanky's)in the 1970's and spent a lot of time in Germany as part of the British Army On the Rhine. Years later he said there was a few occasion's when they were deployed to their War Positions in the field because the higher ups seriously thought the Russians were about to invade. The strange thing was that these incidents weren't part of some international crisis that was headline news, but just events going on in Russia..

I did a few years in the TA and one of the most interesting courses I did was a 5 day Soviet Studies Course.It went into the history of the USSR from the revolution through WW2 to the Cold War and then the current state of the USSR armed forces and also the political side of thing. As much as possible, it gave the Soviet perspective on events and showed how their logic resulted in certain responses.

At one stage, one of the likeliest reasons for WW3 would have been a wide spread failure of the Soviet grain harvest when the Russians would have come West to feed themselves. This was the reason that despite relations being very poor in the Cold War, the Americans continued to supply the Russians with huge amounts of grain..

It was fascinating stuff and showed the Russians very often believed they were being seriously threatened by NATO so acted accordingly.

The Americans found a way and an excuse to test their Nuclear weapons and at that moment they became a world super power, the British then lost an entire Empire and we became their "Speshal Friends" from then on.

In my "opinion" the Russians are total see you next Tuesdays (awaits and email from the mods) as they murdered half my family and sent the other half to Siberia, NKVD are or were the "Special Police Force" met enough of the Polish version in my life, fully armed with machine guns and a different coloured uniform to the normal police and total f!!ctards.

The tactics of the British in Germany in the late sixties/ early seventies if war started was to abandon Germany and make a stand in Holland/Belgium,there was no expectation they could hold the Russians back if they invaded

I know the planes at RAF Gutersloh would take off,do their bit and land elsewhere,it was safer for them to do that when in battle

The only function of anybody on that base was to get the planes in the air,after they were scrambled the military and civilians would all be legging it for the autobahns where chaos would mean no one got anywhere fast

Our army was a sacrificial lamb put there in West Germany as a showpiece,it was a very dangerous situation whatever the times crisis or no crisis

.KHas anyone bothered to watch that film I reccomended"13 hours" a Kevincostner Movie? or has interest in our recent history and near anialation died a death.

KHas anyone bothered to watch that film I reccomended"13 hours" a Kevincostner Movie? or has interest in our recent history and near anialation died a death.
Sorry for the double post. Mods can you remove one pleasewould hate to be accused of upping my post count.

Watch Russia and Germany together - they are King of the North in Bible prophecy.
There is a gas line being run from Russia to Germany so it can keep its supply when Russia turns off the tap to the Ukraine and other smaller countries to keep them under Russia’s thumb. Russia has been doing this for a while but because Northern Europe are on the same pipeline They can’t keep it off for long because of making further enemies. Fuel is power in this instance.

Reply to Mainly for the more aged Forum Members in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back