Discuss Making downlight holes bigger in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

EWebster

Does anyone know of any tools/tricks to make a downlight hole larger neatly and quickly? Using a larger cutter just leaves a mess!

Cheers

Euan

Make a template with ply, plasterboard or something similar the size of your new hole, hold it firmly over the existing hole, (it's better if you have another pair of hands for this) and drill.

Make a template with ply, plasterboard or something similar the size of your new hole, hold it firmly over the existing hole, (it's better if you have another pair of hands for this) and drill.

Good plan. I'll make a load out of plasterboard and do that, although lining it up with the original hole could be tricky!

If you're lucky you'll have the sort of holesaw mandrel that has enough thread to take two blades, if so then fitting the original sized blade inside the new one allows it to act like a pilot drill would, stopping the new blade from careering across the ceiling.

If you're lucky you'll have the sort of holesaw mandrel that has enough thread to take two blades, if so then fitting the original sized blade inside the new one allows it to act like a pilot drill would, stopping the new blade from careering across the ceiling.

Thats the best way i know aswell

You could also try a piece of wood pushed up through the hole which extends past the hole by 2 or 3 inch either side, pull down on wood and screw through ceiling into wood at either end then use wood to drill pilot hole and enlargen hole.
Although padsaw is quicker this is good for lat/plaster ceilings where a padsaw can do more damage with lats snagging and snapping.
Down side is you need to patch up screw holes that held the wood in place after but this isnt a issue if deco follows.

There is a machine available for your drill which has a plastic dome on it with foam around the edge and an adjustable blade to cut the hole. never used one but some people swear by them....or was that swear at them..LOL

Looks like it would fare point, but with the dust catcher and arbor it kills two birds with one stone, cuts the bigger hole and stops mess being made.

Can't believe i've never been shown this or thought of it myself, great idea.

You can get a twin threaded "pilot" drill thing that you put in the hole instead of the pilot drill. you can then use the say 60mm hole saw as pilost drill and then the larger one sit slightly back to cut the new hole size.

These are available in RS, only few quid and very worth it, used em a few times.
Look in the hole saw section, dont know what they call them tho, sorry.
Ross.

Reply to Making downlight holes bigger in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net