Discuss Making up a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time post to the forums, I hope you all go easy on me!

We are undertaking an electrical install as apart of a solar PV installation. We have a very small electric meter cupboard on the front external wall of the clients house and they're not keen on an external enclosure on show beneath the meter cupboard.

The only way we can fit in what we need is by using a random din rail enclosure and installing the parts individually, but I'm unsure if this works with British Standards etc.

I'll list the parts under from the CEF website we are thinking about using:-

12341-720692.08 BLACK8 Module Plastic Enclosure Tinted Window IP65 Black£17.95
12163-3175100A2PI100A DP Incoming Isolator£6.991
2704-637220A2P30B6MAT20A Single Pole and Neutral 1 Module B Curve 6kA 30mA Type A Mini RCBO£12.95
12123-696832A1PB632A Single Pole 6kA B Curve MCB£2.20
12696-8078SPDT2PACK-M20kA 2 Module Single Pole and Neutral Type 2 Surge Protection Kit£21.55
11085-0797CPA118 Way Pin Type Busbar£4.20
There is also a bi-directional meter to go in that we'll be sourcing elsewhere, it's 2 mod of size

The only thing that is a worry for me at this stage is the busbar as it's not MCG like the rest, and I'd like to get a sheild for it as well.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

How are you going to comply with the non combustable requirement for switchgear and similar assemblies?

Hi Snowhead,

This was the purpose of the thread, to find out possible things I may be overlooking.

Plastic enclosure main switch 2 way CU’s are still supplied for installs so I assumed plastic could be used for the right install, it’s not a main consumer unit and it’s not in the house…it would be in the external meter cupboard. It’s got an MCB for an SPD and an RCBO for the inverter. The rest of the modules are for a two mod meter and the SPD itself.

Well, as above, and you're taking on responsibility and liability for the design, manufacture, safety, quality (inc. compliance with standards), and maintainability for this one-off piece of hardware. Hope you are good at design and the necessary documentation!

And I thought the meter cupboard was exclusively for the DNO/supplier, not a CU! (Sorry, CU not the right term in this case, but you get the idea)

Well, as above, and you're taking on responsibility and liability for the design, manufacture, safety, quality (inc. compliance with standards), and maintainability for this one-off piece of hardware. Hope you are good at design and the necessary documentation!

And I thought the meter cupboard was exclusively for the DNO/supplier, not a CU! (Sorry, CU not the right term in this case, but you get the idea)
Is the use of the meter cupboard an issue from the DNO / supplier? I would have thought an unused space within the cupboard would be ok to make use of.

Is the use of the meter cupboard an issue from the DNO / supplier? I would have thought an unused space within the cupboard would be ok to make use of.
My understanding is that, strictly, it's against the rules. Hopefully some on here can clarify.
I know it doesn't stop people putting stuff in the cabinet anyway.
But I think the DNO have the power to insist it's removed if it's in their way in the future.

Reply to Making up a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net