Discuss Maplins closing down, anything to return??? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

You should contact your bank and ask about a chargeback, explaining that the retailer is no longer trading. It doesnt always work but has been known too in the past.

Agree with George cook.
They are no longer liable to give you refund. You may get % from receiver, but doubtful. Write it of as bad debt. Sorry

Rolyberkin
Not very honest. Why stiff someone else just because you get stiffed yourself. No I wouldn't resort to theft/fraud.
Why are they no longer liable? I'm sure if he still owed them for whatever it is he bought they'd be after him for the money.

I'm with Rolyberkin

Why are they no longer liable? I'm sure if he still owed them for whatever it is he bought they'd be after him for the money.

I'm with Rolyberkin

They are no longer liable because they have gone into liquidation and recievers are involved. It's the law. I don't like it, but I cannot change that.

To reiterate I still wouldn't resort to theft/fraud or any thing illegal to recoup any loses.
You rip off me, I rip off someone else, someone else rips off someone else. Where does it end. Anarchy.

Anyhooo, tried the bank for a chargeback, after deciphering what the non English speaking person was saying it appears it is not possible as the computer said no........

Clearly, the last thing you would do is sell it on a forum...Lol!
Years ago, my daughter got a new phone from Phonecar Whorehouse or whatever it's called, and it broke within a month. I took it back, the guy said, no way am I going to replace that, it's over 14 days since you bought it, so I'll take it in and send it back for checking, it's a 6 week turnaround. No, I said, it's clearly faulty, you sold it, you refund or replace it, that's the law (which it was, but then they were not in receivership). He was very rude and told me he would freeze in hell before giving me a refund or replacement. I just sat there, for 3 hours, and when he tried to get me to leave as he was closing the shop, I just refused to move. Eventually, after threatening me, he called the police who duly arrived, and suggested I was guilty of trespass! I said, "what? In Scotland? What about the Sale of Goods Act and its subsequent amendments including supplying goods not of merchantable quality and not fit for purpose?"
Eventually, the salesman said that he couldn't refund me because he was under direct order from Head Office not to do that, and would lose his job, but admitted that this was against the law, but that was his instructions. I agreed to leave, having had the police note everything down. He was subsequently sacked, after I sent a letter to Head Office, and after that I submitted an unfair dismissal claim on his behalf! He got £2k and costs, so everyone's a winner, eh?
Moral? Deal with companies who actually DO care! and use social media to get what you want. My daughter, last year, went on holiday and went to a very posh hotel to use their pool/spa facilities. No-one said there were any restrictions, so she and her friend chose some nice loungers by the poll and had a nice afternoon in the sun with complimentary cocktails etc. On leaving, the girl at the desk accused her of cheating, because they had sat on loungers which were reserved for peole who had bought a "superior" package, and demanded $100 for the "upgrade". There were no signs telling her this, and no-one said she could only sit in the "cheap seats".
Anyway, as she is in marketing, she decided to follow up this insult, and found the personal email of the CEO (i won't name names, but imagine a very high-end hotel chain in Dubai). She recounted her ordeal, said she was very hurt and surprised at the attitude of the girl on the desk, and while she wasn't normally vindictive, nevertheless she was going to facebook her experience as it was nly right to do so to warn others...however, if he, the CEO, had a solution...
10 minutes later, email from CEO, extremely apologetic, actually thanking her for bringing this failure to his attention rather than just going public right away, and offering a full pool/spa experience plus 5 course meal in the rooftop restaurant for my daughter and her friend, all free of charge. My daughter accepted, and next evening she texted us after each course...starters, we are up to $120 already...mains, $225...desserts, another $80...and drinks? well, I won't embarrass her by telling you, but good champagne is not cheap!
Complain...your clients won't hold back, so why should you?
OK, rant over...I'm off to pester L'oreal...I may be worth it, but my wrinkles are just the same as they were yesterday!
Remember the old advert for Lux soap flakes?
"If it's safe in water, it's safe in Lux"
...now, about my pet goldfish...

THE APPLE RANT…

Too many people are following the lemming road...and that stupidity is why Apple succeeds...

It's clever marketing, no doubt about that, and many are quite happy to be ignorant, and thus display that ignorance, by blindly following their acquisitive instincts to acquire the "latest thing". It is time to stop. Why throw away a perfectly good mobile phone/pod/pad just to have the latest gadget, the old ones being consigned to landfill? We have to stop this total waste. Apple have cornered the market in exploitation in this area. Look, I have an iPod! Look, I have a super new dock which charges my iPod as well as broadcasting my tunes around the house! Look, my computer has been totally taken over by iTunes! Look, I have just bought the latest iPod! Oh...look...the charger I had doesn't work...

Oh...look...the expensive dock I have plays the tunes but doesn't charge my iPod...

Ah, here's my new iPhone! Look how shiny and new it is! and look too...it makes calls, does texts and emails and it has a new charging/download socket that isn't the same as my old charger which I will throw away...

Ah! At last! The latest version of my iPhone has been released and it's only a squillion dollars, has no charger because that's extra...and my old one doesn't work with it...never mind, I'll throw it away into landfill and get that new one with the lightning connector...

How lucky am I? 3 iPods, 3 iPhones...and none of them works with any of the 6 previous docks and chargers! Brilliant! I am a stupid lemming! I love it! Apple has grabbed me and made me part with loads of money...and am I any better off in any way? well, yes! I have a gadget that plays tunes and a phone that does everything my last 2 did! How clever am I? Not very...

But when the NEXT pod/phone is released I will rush lemming-like to give my hard earned cash to Apple, because I am so stupid as to believe that having the next version from launch is a cool, clever, fulfilling and clever thing to do!

So far in this short progression, and not even mentioning iPads, I have spent a couple of grand, I have 6 redundant chargers and docks, I have a computer which tries to force me to iTunes every time I boot it up, and demands control of all my downloads, yet when I want to copy all the stuff I have already paid for it tells me bad news...you know the messages.

Try this:

Use your gadgets til they break down, then recycle the whole package.

Buy what YOU need..NEED! Not what you think is cool...

resist the "takeover mentality" and thus break the ridiculous Apple stranglehold. I admire it from a marketing viewpoint...it's brilliant! However it raids your wallet, and for the vulnerable, stupid people in the world, the gullible and ill-informed, the poorly advised and those who are not intelligent enough to realise they are being manipulated, it is a crime. Those categories make up the majority, so protect them, educate them and point out that a phone upgrade can cost as much as a family holiday...

Rant over!

THE APPLE RANT…

Too many people are following the lemming road...and that stupidity is why Apple succeeds...

It's clever marketing, no doubt about that, and many are quite happy to be ignorant, and thus display that ignorance, by blindly following their acquisitive instincts to acquire the "latest thing". It is time to stop. Why throw away a perfectly good mobile phone/pod/pad just to have the latest gadget, the old ones being consigned to landfill? We have to stop this total waste. Apple have cornered the market in exploitation in this area. Look, I have an iPod! Look, I have a super new dock which charges my iPod as well as broadcasting my tunes around the house! Look, my computer has been totally taken over by iTunes! Look, I have just bought the latest iPod! Oh...look...the charger I had doesn't work...

Oh...look...the expensive dock I have plays the tunes but doesn't charge my iPod...

Ah, here's my new iPhone! Look how shiny and new it is! and look too...it makes calls, does texts and emails and it has a new charging/download socket that isn't the same as my old charger which I will throw away...

Ah! At last! The latest version of my iPhone has been released and it's only a squillion dollars, has no charger because that's extra...and my old one doesn't work with it...never mind, I'll throw it away into landfill and get that new one with the lightning connector...

How lucky am I? 3 iPods, 3 iPhones...and none of them works with any of the 6 previous docks and chargers! Brilliant! I am a stupid lemming! I love it! Apple has grabbed me and made me part with loads of money...and am I any better off in any way? well, yes! I have a gadget that plays tunes and a phone that does everything my last 2 did! How clever am I? Not very...

But when the NEXT pod/phone is released I will rush lemming-like to give my hard earned cash to Apple, because I am so stupid as to believe that having the next version from launch is a cool, clever, fulfilling and clever thing to do!

So far in this short progression, and not even mentioning iPads, I have spent a couple of grand, I have 6 redundant chargers and docks, I have a computer which tries to force me to iTunes every time I boot it up, and demands control of all my downloads, yet when I want to copy all the stuff I have already paid for it tells me bad news...you know the messages.

Try this:

Use your gadgets til they break down, then recycle the whole package.

Buy what YOU need..NEED! Not what you think is cool...

resist the "takeover mentality" and thus break the ridiculous Apple stranglehold. I admire it from a marketing viewpoint...it's brilliant! However it raids your wallet, and for the vulnerable, stupid people in the world, the gullible and ill-informed, the poorly advised and those who are not intelligent enough to realise they are being manipulated, it is a crime. Those categories make up the majority, so protect them, educate them and point out that a phone upgrade can cost as much as a family holiday...

Rant over!
i spent £100 on my smart phone, it will outlast your iphone and probably even the next dozen iphones they release this year

steve jobs was an idiot, all he did was take other peoples tech and put it together

My Mac laptop lasted me 8 years okay I upgraded the drive to SSD and added some RAM then sold it last year for £140 as I bought a nice MacBook Pro (2015) Retina 2.9 i5 16GB Ram and a 500GB SSD drive for £250 took a risk as someone had spilt tea over the keyboard, gave it a good clean up and it has worked faultlessly ever since.

My main PC is the MAC Mini 2.6 i7 16GB 1TB SATA drive also got a deal as bought from a developer who had 2 for testing and once the job was finished sold one off.

I look for a decent deal and don't follow the herd mentality, I do also have a Dell PC and a Dell Laptop but I did a job 5 years back and got two as freebies, top spec so I have one and the other half has the other one, I think I turn it on once in a while to configure a network switch.

i spent £100 on my smart phone, it will outlast your iphone and probably even the next dozen iphones they release this year

steve jobs was an idiot, all he did was take other peoples tech and put it together
Not true, he had vision and built a company with Wozniak, what have you achieved in life?

Reply to Maplins closing down, anything to return??? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net