Discuss MCS Sign-off for someone else question!!! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MikeXl426

Just been approached by a company who are tendering for a construction job with PV on the roof. They want to do an install (have their own roofers/electricians etc) have asked me to sign it off for them so they can get an MCS certificate.

Now before everyone starts screaming, I know this is a no-no. :whatchutalkingabout

However my question is, does anyone do this kind of work for other companies and how do they do it 'properly'? So, who is the customer - main contractor who is tendering, or the actual end-user? The way I see it is that the MCS process require a paper trail from start to finish with the end-customer but surely this would not be possible with jobs that a main contractor has won the deal for and wants to use his own teams?

Thoughts and comments on how to approach this is appreciated.

Mike

Your MCS QMS would have to identify that you are using sub contractors to conduct the installation. Have documented evidence of their qualifications, HSE, products being used etc etc just as you would for any other sub contractor.Although I don't agree with such a practice, and would like to say let the main contractor get off their backside and get MCS themselves, there is nothing stopping this practice. The question is more of are you happy for said company to trade off the back of your hard earned and costly MCS accreditation? what's in it for you?

Thanks Markc.

The main contractor already believes he has roofers and electrician to do the work. Presumably I would have to stop him and make the roofers/electrician my sub-contractors?...with all the documentation that goes with that.

As I've got my own guys anyway I suppose I'd have to insist I'd use my own guys..so I'd lose any deal with this contractor anyway. I suppose it's difficult for contractors who are tendering for jobs to be able give a price and need to work more closely with us MCS guys rather than thinking they can just get someone in to sign-off their own team's work.

...although I've heard stories of MCS registered companies who are doing it. Don't know how they get away with it, but it seems they are.

Read MIS3002:

In other situations (for example new build, or for commercial customers), it is permissible for the physical installation, setting to work and commissioning to be undertaken by others (i.e. not subcontracted to the Contractor) provided that:

3.3.1 A contract between the Contractor and the commercial client details obligations on the client to include that evidence of skills and training of those employed by the client to do elements of work not undertaken by the Contractor are to be made available to the Contractor to ensure that the competence requirements of this standard are met and that access to the site for training and supervision in accordance with the following sections is agreed in advance.

3.3.2 The certificated Contractor provides additional product-specific training for those undertaking the work not undertaken by the certificated Contractor.

3.3.3 The certificated Contractor assesses a sample number of installations under the contract which is not less than the square root of the number of installations rounded up to the nearest whole number (e.g. a new build site of 50 installations then a minimum of 8 are assessed).

3.3.4 The certificated Contractor assumes responsibility at handover that the installation is in full compliance with the standard.

There's plenty of work out there just give them a price to do the job and walk away. They can't do it 'cos if they could then they'd get accredited and seek out more work. They're chancing it and you want to be a million miles away. Main contractors beat down the price and pay late, stick to householders!

There's plenty of work out there just give them a price to do the job and walk away. They can't do it 'cos if they could then they'd get accredited and seek out more work. They're chancing it and you want to be a million miles away. Main contractors beat down the price and pay late, stick to householders!

Thanks....sounds like you've had bad experiences then?

Reply to MCS Sign-off for someone else question!!! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net