Discuss Megger 1552 faulty symbols showing any ideas. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Miketwinny

my megger 1552 MFT on the continuity tests, when I go to null the leads is showing a fuse and battery cell symbol and wont take a reading and I have to turn it off. I`ve changed the batteries and fuse but its still doing it, can anyone help.

thanks mike

it may be something simple like shaged leads....
you were right though to check the batterys first as i`v heard in the past in here of folk condemning test gear when it was just the batterys...
if not the batterys...and the fuse is good (i assumed you checked the fuse before fitting it)
if they are ok then check the test leads....
i mean, how is it doing on loop?

and how does the rotary switch feel like to turn....rough or smooth?
rotary switches on test gear have little gold plated sprung contacts and when these wear down (which they do) you can start to get shyte readings....
dont forget its low ohms your in mike....so any nonsense here and test leads will show up....

dont know what went on with my meter but all fine now, went through all the tests IR, Zs, RCD, PFC, then tried continuity again and it let me null the leads and do the tests. very strange.

and how does the rotary switch feel like to turn....rough or smooth?
rotary switches on test gear have little gold plated sprung contacts and when these wear down (which they do) you can start to get shyte readings....
dont forget its low ohms your in mike....so any nonsense here and test leads will show up....

the rotary switch is smooth, the meter is about 6 years old..

My 1552 did this a couple of years back, luckily was still in the warranty period as it turned out to the what Megger called the high voltage circuit board.

They replaced it and been fine ever since

i had the same problem with my 6 yr old 1553, when I go to null the leads it's showing a fuse and battery cell symbol and wont take a reading and I have to turn it off. Had a call from City today who sent it to their repair company, ACS, i think. An internal fuse has gone and can only be repaired by megger who have a one off repair charge of £280 +vat. this is the second time this has happened, luckily the first time was under warranty.

Reply to Megger 1552 faulty symbols showing any ideas. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net