Discuss MEGGER Bm223 - how to use it? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys

As some of you know I'm studying at college and invested in a MEGGER Bm223 just to practice at home.

I have a spare 2.5 cable at home to practice on.

Does anyone know how to use this device ? Continuity and resistance test ?

Back from the pub now....

Link to the manual:

Can I stress that this instrument is for dead tests so don't go near any live circuits with it!
Either practise on a completely disconnected cable, or turn the main switch off first and check what you are intended to connect to is dead using the safe isolation procedure.
I'd also suggest not exceeding 250v IR tests until you've learned more about them.

Look on YouTube for John Ward. You want the videos on continuity testing and insulation resistance testing.
That device is gloriously simple there are only two wires.
To null the leads for continuity join them together and press test.

Oh brilliant !, that's what I need at this stage. To learn the theory and why do we do things.

I'll watch his vids! Do you recommend anymore ??

Back from the pub now....

Link to the manual:

Can I stress that this instrument is for dead tests so don't go near any live circuits with it!
Either practise on a completely disconnected cable, or turn the main switch off first and check what you are intended to connect to is dead using the safe isolation procedure.
I'd also suggest not exceeding 250v IR tests until you've learned more about them.

Oh brilliant thanks for that!.

I'm only testing on a loose cable.so I understand the basics.

The manual is what I need !!! But sadly that PDF isn't working for me.

Does it work for anyone else ???

Oh brilliant !, that's what I need at this stage. To learn the theory and why do we do things.

I'll watch his vids! Do you recommend anymore ??
His playlist on testing is excellent and I'd watch the whole playlist including the introduction.
(There has been a minor change to RCD testing in amendment 2 but the method he shows can still be used, it just goes above and beyond the minimum requirement now)

When you have finished those, you can work your way through this lot, which shows testing and fault finding in practice:

His playlist on testing is excellent and I'd watch the whole playlist including the introduction.
(There has been a minor change to RCD testing in amendment 2 but the method he shows can still be used, it just goes above and beyond the minimum requirement now)

When you have finished those, you can work your way through this lot, which shows testing and fault finding in practice:

Really appreciate that mate ! I've saved his electrical installation testing playlist in youtube. I'll start watching it tonight! Then I'll move onto the one you posted.

As I'm on level 2. Just started it. Do you know any books or vids that show how electricity works etc? I just want yo learn as much as I can

As I'm on level 2. Just started it. Do you know any books or vids that show how electricity works etc? I just want yo learn as much as I can

I'd look for videos describing ohms law. The relationship between voltage, resistance and current underpins almost everything we do and getting a good grasp of this as early as possible will really help.

This one is rather fun as he very practically demonstrates that resistance limits current and very low resistance = high current
(It's a shame about the reversing alarms in the background!)

Look on YouTube for John Ward. You want the videos on continuity testing and insulation resistance testing.
That device is gloriously simple there are only two wires.
To null the leads for continuity join them together and press test.
I've got a BM206 but I can't seem to get a zero with the leads joined ?
Would I be doing something wrong , it was calibrated a few years ago

I've got a BM206 but I can't seem to get a zero with the leads joined ?
Would I be doing something wrong , it was calibrated a few years ago
So when you join the leads, and press and release test, it doesn't read zero?
Does the test button work when you do IR tests (press and hold) ?

Testing works ok
Maybe im zeroing wrong , is it on the 5ohm range that you Zero?
I may have misled you. It might be that your model works differently.
Several of the BM80 and BM220+ models look similar to this and the leads can be nulled as described above.
1695824685060.png

I'm not familiar with the BM200 range that looks like this. Nor can I find a manual online that covers that instrument.

1695824718347.png

Reply to MEGGER Bm223 - how to use it? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net