Discuss Megger MFT 1720 or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bradzz

Hi i was thinking about buying a Megger MFT1720/ maybe 30. But ive noticed loads for sale on a certain auction site. is somthing up with MFT1720 range ?
Or are they a good tester. Let me know what you think.
Cheers.

im using a 1552 at the min, and Kewtech.

Cheers for your feed back.

The former issues with the Megger 17xx series MFTs have all been sorted since firmware update 2.01, apart from the 2 wire No-trip loop test which still gives variable results even with firmware update 2.05, however it's getting better with each update, and you don't need to use it anyway because the 3 wire No-trip loop test works fine.
I second Tel's thoughts on the matter, stick with the 1552 till it packs up, then get a 1720, hopefully by that time even the 2 wire loop function will be sorted out.

Might just have to keep using my 1552, looks like all the trade counters are trying to do an Iphone thing with the prices all the same price, well they wont get my money so easily, all £660 then VAT £798. thats for the MFT1720. will have to wait a year or two.
But cheers to the replies.

I don't like the 1700 range at all personally, the 1500 range is much better IMHO, I would stick with it if I were you and enjoy it, the 1700 series is awkward to use and even now after using mine dozens of times I still forget how to test for psc or pfc lol, I also get annoyed at the 3 prong plug top lead, the 1500 series had much better leads.

The 1700 series has a much improved display, that's about it.

With regard to the quantity on certain auction sites, there are a lot of people buying these instruments trying their hand at sparking without the competence to use them.
They buy all the equipment, but when they realise they can't get the work they sell the MFT as they have too much money tied up int it.

I have a 1730, no probs at all with it. However never used anything else. Word of warning, don't buy the on site software. Although it works okay, the tech support for it only lasts 3 months or less now I'm led to believe. Megger themselves advise not to register the software until you get a problem!

Prefer the 1552. used the 1720 a lot but think the earlier model is easier to use. As someone else mentioned the 1720 leads aren't as good 1552 as you have to keep swapping the croc clips and probes(cant just slot the croc clips over the probes with 1720). Doing PFC test with the newer model is annoying as you have to swap leads between L-N and L-E tests.
The newer does have a couple of nice features like recording the highest zs results and the rcd auto test is a lot quicker than the old one.

Reply to Megger MFT 1720 or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net