Discuss Messy wires? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wstevew

After my install I had to call the installer back to fix a few niggles. (e.g. they wired the 2 strings into 1 mppt instead of 2). I also asked them to tidy the cables under the panels as it looked like they were touching the tiles. I haven't had much time to check in the right light but today being nice and bright I took a look.

Is this untidy and should I ask them to come back and tidy it up?

S1220004.jpg
S1220002.jpg
S1220005.jpg
S1220006.jpg

I do not think you need to ask really.
It is strange, for the sake of a few cable ties that cost pennies, just a couple of minutes extra and a little thought, this would have been a tidy array.
Have you any photos of the other wiring, Inverter, isolators, etc. It would just be interesting to see.

The inverter and isolators are in the loft. All cables in the loft are cable clamped and labeled with warning stickers.AC cable exits loft and runs down outside wall (in conduit) back through wall all neat in trunking to generation meter.cable input/output of meter all covered with trunking to second AC isolator then seperate CU with tails to Henley block.

I am curious.

I do all the electrics on a PV instal and have little or no involvement on the roof.

But.

Is it possible to plug in a panel, lay it down, then reach under the panel and tie wrap the cables to the rail?

I can see how it can be done but surely some cables would hang down?

The cables from loft/dc isoloator to panels yes of course but the panel cables themselves?

Really? Ok then i'll get me coat :leaving:

I notice they have some cable ties there, I personally cannot connect all panels up then cable tie those connections, I find it IMPOSSIBLE to keep all cable off the roof.

We manage to keep our cables tidy , we have somebody tilt the panel down while other person zip ties , put panel down , pull cable to side where next panel is to be fitted the tie wrap to rail, easy

It's probably not really possible to ensure that none of the cables ever touch a roof, but each cable between each panel should be cable tied to the rail relatively tightly to minimise this contact, but more importantly to minimise any movement of the cable, as it's the rubbing of the cable against the tiles that could cause future problems, and minimal movement also equals minimal rubbing.

We do it as MEP does, 1 person holds the panel while the other ties the cables in, then lower and clip the panel.

Apart from it being more difficult and time consuming to attempt to do it after the panel is clipped on, IMO there's too much chance of the cable getting nicked in the process of trimming the end off the cable tie if you're trying to do it that way.

OK looks like I will get in touch with them And see what they say.

Oh and as always, thanks for the replies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Messy wires? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net