Discuss Wiring inside house wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sparkman

DIY
Reaction score
I removed my baseboard electrical heaters (1981 installed) due to finishing off the room. When I had a new AC ductwork installed they changed the wires for some reason?(1988) so the wires to the heates are live but they removed the heater control from wall. Now, years later I am wondering what I did was
100% SAFE. After getting advice from other electricians with the fuse OFF I cut the wires and wire-nutted them..separate and taped with electrical tape.
It has been 8 years since I did this. I am now selling my house and wondering if it could ever catch fire? I am thinking it is safe like the wires that are attached to outlets in the wall. I had a "master electrician" look at this issue before I did it myself and he couldn't figure it out....I am wondering if I could pull the wire out (seems impossible to do though) and I wouldn't know if it was attached to another wire to a nearby outlet or not. Thanks for any advice.

If this is in its own circuit, get an electrician in to disconnect it from the panel, or from wherever it’s getting a supply from, if sharing the circuit with other things.

Then it’ll be a dead wire.

I removed my baseboard electrical heaters (1981 installed) due to finishing off the room. When I had a new AC ductwork installed they changed the wires for some reason?(1988) so the wires to the heates are live but they removed the heater control from wall. Now, years later I am wondering what I did was
100% SAFE. After getting advice from other electricians with the fuse OFF I cut the wires and wire-nutted them..separate and taped with electrical tape.
It has been 8 years since I did this. I am now selling my house and wondering if it could ever catch fire? I am thinking it is safe like the wires that are attached to outlets in the wall. I had a "master electrician" look at this issue before I did it myself and he couldn't figure it out....I am wondering if I could pull the wire out (seems impossible to do though) and I wouldn't know if it was attached to another wire to a nearby outlet or not. Thanks for any advice.
I have to agree with littlespark stating that the wires should be absolutely cut loose at the fuse or breaker to make it safe. The heaters should have its own circuit. Good luck with your project and welcome to the forum.

Reply to Wiring inside house wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net