Discuss metal capping not needed according to 17th in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well I have heard it all now, I think the trainee section should snap this fella up sharpish not!!

whats wrong with putting a bit of conduit in so you can actually get the wires pulled in/out without bashing the house into submission?
just a thought.

We always install capping when we wire in singles however.

Omg fellas. Really? Sometimes it is too easy on here.

Bad move. Two options here, either you are making a genuine statement and are clueless about installation techniques or you're making false statements which means you're trolling. Either way you're on thin ice so don't do it again.

Please be warned!!

Threads and posts get indexed by search engines and misleading statements like this end up carrying weight in Google search results because they supposedly come from professional electricians. If you want to start some banter keep it in the Chit Chat forum where it belongs not in the Electrical forums. Also if there's threads closed and posts deleted and your trolling is the cause of it then you'll be shown the door.

whats wrong with putting a bit of conduit in so you can actually get the wires pulled in/out without bashing the house into submission?
just a thought.
And how exactly do you propose to hide a bloody great lump of metal conduit?
Obviously plastic oval conduit is a different thing entirely but you're still cutting a chase.

just a thought.

Well thats the beauty of the oval tube.
i find capping easier to fix however, and keeps cables neat and tidy and secure.

Bad move. Two options here, either you are making a genuine statement and are clueless about installation techniques or you're making false statements which means you're trolling. Either way you're on thin ice so don't do it again.

Please be warned!!

Threads and posts get indexed by search engines and misleading statements like this end up carrying weight in Google search results because they supposedly come from professional electricians. If you want to start some banter keep it in the Chit Chat forum where it belongs not in the Electrical forums. Also if there's threads closed and posts deleted and your trolling is the cause of it then you'll be shown the door.

Please accept my apology. I did not think of it that way. TBH I really thought it was an obvious joke and thought it would be taken as such.

I have edited my post and made it clear why.

let me be clear. This is absolutely not acceptable practice and should never be followed.

Imho it's good practice to keep all chases as slim as possible. To me it's pointless widening a potential 15mm chase for the sake of a pointless bit of capping when there's not a chance in hell of a plasterer's float going anywhere near your cable, bare walls are usually dot and dabbed round my neck of the woods so it's pointless there too, there are alternatives in a commercial setting too.
I just don't like the stuff. If specced I'll happily put it in but I avoid it where ever I can

The way I was taught is to use plastic capping on new walls and oval conduit in chases in existing walls.
There is no sense in cutting chases wider than they need to be just to put capping in, yet I've seen so many people do this.

When we finally got a chasing machine we would cut 24mm wide chases and use 25mm oval, with the aid of a bit of tile batten it would tap into the chase an wedge tight with no need for any further fixing. It made the whole process pretty quick.

How do you guys fix the oval conduit to the wall? I have never used it and tend to use capping on jobs where i don't know the plasterer and when working along side a couple of plasterers i know locally then as Trev said, i prefer and they prefer a small neat chase!

How do you guys fix the oval conduit to the wall? I have never used it and tend to use capping on jobs where i don't know the plasterer and when working along side a couple of plasterers i know locally then as Trev said, i prefer and they prefer a small neat chase!

Either a chase slightly narrower than the conduit and put a black on the conduit then give the block a good tap, or a couple of capping nails either side of the pipe, or for the narrower oval then a 2.5mm T&E clip or two works.

Interesting, how much is a length of oval then and what sizes does it come in? Might buy some tomorrow and give it a try.
Middleton Electrical Services has never needed to rewire a drop but you never know it may happen at some point so i think i may give these oval shenanigans a whirl!

Reply to metal capping not needed according to 17th in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net