Discuss Metal consumer only option now? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LeeH38

DIY
Reaction score
Following on from this saga: SWA questions, doubting electrician - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/swa-questions-doubting-electrician.180536/page-2

I had an electrician out to quote to rectify the problems yesterday after dealing with the tripping issue myself. I have now been told to install correctly and get this signed off you are no longer allowed to make new circuits to an existing plastic consumer (due to edition 18). As a result I have been told the 2 way consumer in the garage will need replacing and a new two way consumer will need to be added in my house to support the two new circuits meaning the spare ways in my existing consumer are now redundant.

Just wanted to check this was correct before paying for more work that isn’t required.

Thanks

Lee

He’s trying to have your eyes out mate. As long as the installation is safe, there is no need to upgrade to a metal consumer unit although it may be recommended.

I’m a bit out of the loop now, not having done the 18th. The use of ferrous metal CU in domestic properties, was born out of A3 of the 17th.

It did not preclude the use of a plastic CU for new circuits, or additions etc.

He’s trying to have your eyes out mate. As long as the installation is safe, there is no need to upgrade to a metal consumer unit although it may be recommended.

I suspected this, I wouldn’t mind in the garage but last thing I want is another box with wires in the house as well as the existing one.

I suspected this, I wouldn’t mind in the garage but last thing I want is another box with wires in the house as well as the existing one.

And why he’d add a 2 way metal consumer unit next to your existing plastic one is beyond me too...

I’d replace what you had with a new metal box incorporating the lot and leaving you with spare ways, if that’s whats required.

Following on from this saga: SWA questions, doubting electrician - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/swa-questions-doubting-electrician.180536/page-2

I had an electrician out to quote to rectify the problems yesterday after dealing with the tripping issue myself. I have now been told to install correctly and get this signed off you are no longer allowed to make new circuits to an existing plastic consumer (due to edition 18). As a result I have been told the 2 way consumer in the garage will need replacing and a new two way consumer will need to be added in my house to support the two new circuits meaning the spare ways in my existing consumer are now redundant.

Just wanted to check this was correct before paying for more work that isn’t required.

Thanks

Lee
Forgive me for asking, but is a "metal consumer" a robot which owns the property?

And the "plastic consumer" is perhaps Pamela Anderson?

Reply to Metal consumer only option now? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net