Discuss Metal table bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Commercial kitchen.
No RCD protection.
Where is the reg that says metal tables need bonding, the owner is being belligerent and wanting evidence that he needs to pay us to do the bonding.
Thank you in advance for you help.

It's never been a requirement....15th or otherwise....the same applies to sinks etc.....it's just that in recent years a lot of the bonding myths have been exploded..What makes you think they need bonding?

probably electrical equipment being used on them with broken switches and frayed flex...... which you find in these kitchens but that a pat issue.

It's never been a requirement....15th or otherwise....the same applies to sinks etc.....it's just that in recent years a lot of the bonding myths have been exploded..What makes you think they need bonding?
Under the 15th the Niceic as well as councils were both instructing us to bond sinks, i cant honestly remember if the reg' actually existed but the believe was strong enough for the governing boards to enforce it.

Under the 15th the Niceic as well as councils were both instructing us to bond sinks, i cant honestly remember if the reg' actually existed but the believe was strong enough for the governing boards to enforce it.

Regardless of that it was still a myth..nothing changed in the regulations....Makes me weep when I think of all the time I spent grovelling around under sinks.

Worse one for us was a Clark of works instructed us to bond the metal capping before the plasterer got in, we were in disbelieve but his instruction is always the rule on site, but yes this was in the silly era around the 15th edition, im so glad it all done as it was a pain drilling holes in all the spoons to fit the earth tail on :90:

Worse one for us was a Clark of works instructed us to bond the metal capping before the plasterer got in, we were in disbelieve but his instruction is always the rule on site, but yes this was in the silly era around the 15th edition, im so glad it all done as it was a pain drilling holes in all the spoons to fit the earth tail on :90:

only a council clark of works could combine the 2 most pointless tasks , capping and the earthing of.
with my OCD i would have stabbed him on the spot lol.

If I remember correctly the method of fault protection was known as Earthed Equipotential Bonding and Automatic Disconnection of Supply; the Earthed Equipotential bonding meaning metal parts of the building should be bonded to aid disconnection in the event of them coming into contact with anything electrical, eg if there were a fault in a metal toaster on a metal table which a chef is working on.
With the 17th this was dropped in favour of putting everything on an RCD so the imbalance between line and neutral would automatically disconnect the supply without having to rely on all the bonding.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Oh I see.
Yeah there's no point bonding anything - bonding the incoming water and gas is like bonding the change in your pocket.
Whack an RCD in there - it makes everything safe.
Bonding is so last season.

I'm so glad all this bonding is no longer necessary - I used to find the earth bond on my watch strap very constricting.

that's your anti-static band. stops you from frying silcon chips when working on pcb's.

that's your anti-static band. stops you from frying silcon chips when working on pcb's.
Is that why metal tables are bonded? So you can work on PCBs on them without frying silicon chips? Do we no longer do it because it stopped chefs from frying potato chips?

Unfortunately, the manufacturers of these commercial stainless steel kitchen tables are still providing them with earth bonding points. Most also come complete with sticky notices instructing these earthing points to be bonded. Perhaps someone should point out to these manufacturers that this is no longer an electrical requirement!! lol!!!

metal sinks still have tags on them as well. are these manufacturers the same ones that think a fan will not seize up and catch fire if it has a 3A fuse in the permanent line feed? or are they the ones that design light fittings with terminal blocks that will only accept 1 x 1.0mm T/E?

Reply to Metal table bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net