Discuss Minor cert help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

Im new to inspection and testing. Sorry if i sound lost. Basicly came to a job an electrician has done. Hes installed sockets in the bedroom and sockets in the new extention coming of the same circuit Would i note this on 1 minor works as bedroom/extention sockets and use the highest zs from one of the rooms

Also where it says ads. There is no rcd in place would i give this a N/A or a cross

As above A minor works is for alterations you have carried out not someone else , but if you had of done the works I would suggest A minor works for each alteration

Its just that you will be putting your name to the installation not just the testing , if you can see how the cabling has been installed and are happy with the installation then its your call , but if for example when the new cable was installed its rapped around a heating pipe under the floor that coursing a problem in the future then as your name is on the cert you will be accountable for it.

Hes just left the job past week with out giving the minor. Would that effect the cert?

I wouldn't put my name to anyone else's work, but that's just me. Like flanders says, unless you can do a 100% inspection on every inch of cable, every connection etc, I'd walk away.

The fact that this guy has left the job having altered sockets circuits with no RCD protection and no testing or certs should tell you all you need to know about the standards of install. Tell the customer that they need to get the installer back to finish.

It's not a case of would you should you. The only person that can issue a mwc for the work is the person who carried it out.
All you can do is carry out a pir and issue an eicr.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Hes just left the job past week with out giving the minor. Would that effect the cert?

These sockets that the other Electrician wired, is it a complete new circuit? if you are doing an EICR on this install the you use the correct EICR certificate, not a MNWC, a MNWC is for alterations to an EXISTING circuit, not a new circuit.
Why did the other Electrician do a runner?

Its on an existing circuit and left for another company + didnt get along with the boss..as i joined ive been left with nightmares :/....

Its on an existing circuit and left for another company + didnt get along with the boss..as i joined ive been left with nightmares :/....

So you work for the company that this other spark used to work for before he did this job and cleared off ?

Then the matter of the non compliance with the regs needs referring to the company QS as it is their job to produce and sign test certificates on behalf of the company.

You may find that your company are potentially registered to carry out third party inspection and testing, but unless you or the qualified supervisor (who must also sign the cert) has seen the cables be installed, you shouldn't sign the dotted line. Just fill out a EICR for that circuit only and note that previous electrician is AWOL and client required circuit to be inspected and tested.

Im speaking to my boss about it soon. Other then that the lighting circuit can be right? Going to speak the the old electrician asap

Last edited by a moderator:
QS is the one to see. Does he know the situation?
Is someone putting pressure on you to sign for another person's work?

QS is the one to see. Does he know the situation?
Is someone putting pressure on you to sign for another person's work?

Sounds like it doesn't? time to contact the scam provider.

The qs has left. Left me with his jobs he hasnt signed off :// lost on what to do and got the boss on my case

That's not on and not your problem.
If your boss is desperate to get these jobs completed in the wake of the QS jumping ship then you could suggest that you provide him with the test results and leave the certs for him to sign, making it clear you will not be putting your name to work you have not carried out.

Reply to Minor cert help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net