Discuss Minor Works in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Quick question on a Minor works Cert Part 2. 3 Protective device on mod circuit do you eneter the device at the consunmer unit or if an appliacnce is feed via a fused spur do you enter the fuse?

please let me know

many thanks
steve

Device at cu as you are testing complete circuit.

Hi

Quick question on a Minor works Cert Part 2. 3 Protective device on mod circuit do you eneter the device at the consunmer unit or if an appliacnce is feed via a fused spur do you enter the fuse?

please let me know

many thanks
steve

sorry dont agree with sintra or acat, it has to be the fuse in the fsu for the addition as this the protection for the load side cable not the one at the ccu.

for example if you were to spur from an rfc with a 32A device at origin you could not deem it to protect a 1.5mm cable on the load side of the spur

I would agree with Trebor -

If you add a socket to a RFC then the 'Protective device for the modified circuit' is the 32A breaker in the CU.

But...

If your minor work is on a fused spur - say fitting new wall lights that are spured off a ring final - with a 5A BS1362 - then the 'Protective device for the modified circuit' is the 5A fuse.

Don't forget - in this scenario -, when measuring your Zs, your max Zs for your wall lights is the value given for a 5A BS1362, not the value for the 32A MCB protecting the ring final - because, as Trebor says, it could be wired in 1.5mm:)

I always enter the device at the CU as this is the device protecting the circuit you have modified and you are testing the entire circuit.....but in the comments section I will note that the section of the circuit that I have added/modified is protected by a bs1362 fuse and if neccessary record the max zs for that fuse as well.

Hi Everyone

Thanks very much for answering my question, the acctual job I'm reffering to was an immersion heater change. Therefore I did not modify the circuit as such the original immersion heater was fitted with a 13 a 3 pin plug!! which I changed to a fused spur.

Many Thanks

Steve

the socket you changed IS part of the original circuir and you CHANGED it to a fcu hence Minor works for the circuit as the circuit has been altered

Reply to Minor Works in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net