Discuss More part P quality installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I often find myself writing the electrical issues I have on the walls of public toilet cubicles, along with my phone number for contact...although, I must confess, I do get some odd calls

Whats your phone number ? I could get you on the local toilet doors round my way . with that weasel photo as well. your bound to get a lot of business..LOl..

Just arrived at a job today to change a CU, after bit of testing found N-E fault on upstairs ring, went up stairs and found this!

this was installed by a bedroom fitter, last week, the lady asked for some extra double sockets and one had to be moved in her bedroom which the fitter done before plastering, then was coming back to fit the bedroom units afterwards

he told the lady he was also a registered electrician(was part p elecsa), charged her ÂŁ200 cash for this and it took him all day apparently!

i have not altered any of this before the photos this is as was installed!

he left the blue tape on the back box as he cracked it and said he would change it later

i ripped it all out and re installed it for her afterwards

it doesnt even look like he used new kit, i think it was old stuff from another job

Cant believe he didnt get the cable under the floor at least, and what a way to extend a ring circuit

Certs in post apparently, i dont know what its gonna say cause i was there to change the board and until then there was no bonding or rcd protection

Generally, cash job means no invoice/guarantee/certs or competence in this case. Did the fitter know the board was being updated and hence knew that would need testing and certifying? Call me suspicious, but you can see the scenario;
client: 'we've got an electrician coming, so we will get him to add/move sockets'
fitter: 'electricians are expensive you know, and probably won't have time if changing board, I could do it etc...and you'll be covered by their cert'

Looking at that surface box, are you sure he isn't a kitchen fitter?!!

Are you a polecat

Same O, same O ..... you'll all comment on just how bad this or that install is, but you'll not lift a finger to do anything about it, and that's why the UK industry is in the Shyte it's in today!!

You're all in a frenzy....I think you need to definitively ascertain that this guy is registered with Elecsa beyond all doubt. Welchboy get his name from the client and log his post code in here Electrical Safety Register - Find your local, registered electrical contractor IF he is NICEIC or ELECSA he will be listed....if he is then proceed with the lynching. Not sure with Napit checks...I guess you will need to go to their website.

You're all in a frenzy....I think you need to definitively ascertain that this guy is registered with Elecsa beyond all doubt. Welchboy get his name from the client and log his post code in here Electrical Safety Register - Find your local, registered electrical contractor IF he is NICEIC or ELECSA he will be listed....if he is then proceed with the lynching. Not sure with Napit checks...I guess you will need to go to their website.
Don't use biased sites to search for competent persons use Competent Persons Register | Home as this covers everyone and is not directed toward any specific organisation. (although I suppose you could use http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/ after 30 June 2014 for just electricians)

Part what?...never heard of it! O.P, that job looks more like a very bad DIY to me. Are you sure the customer isn't spinning you a tale?

It was an old lady about 80 odd, the guys van was on the drive pricing the bedroom when i turned up to look at the cu job

it was something like daves carpentry services or summit and had an elecsa badge on it, as i remember rolling my eyes when i see it

i said how bad the install was and she should demand a refund, but she didnt want to start any confrontation with him as he was coming back to fit the bedroom out and she had paid him a deposit

just glad he didnt get the cu install work too

It was an old lady about 80 odd, the guys van was on the drive pricing the bedroom when i turned up to look at the cu job

it was something like daves carpentry services or summit and had an elecsa badge on it, as i remember rolling my eyes when i see it

i said how bad the install was and she should demand a refund, but she didnt want to start any confrontation with him as he was coming back to fit the bedroom out and she had paid him a deposit

just glad he didnt get the cu install work too

That's the thing with most folks of her generation, they never want to make a fuss over these things and so get rolled over all the time.

It boils my pi$$ and is why as I'm getting older I'm making damned sure I'm becoming more of a belligerent old tw*t with the passing of each day.

As much as I resent paying my annual fee to Elecsa I will say their inspector insists on a couple of site visits and is pretty rigorous with his site inspections. In this case I would say either the carpenter is posing as an Elecsa member or the inspector carries a white stick, because if the carpenter is prepared to leave such a mess then his overall standard must be abysmal. If it were me I would be digging deeper and at least get the guys business card so a check can be made. I have never even seen a diyer do such appalling work....and I think her bedroom fit will be equally disastrous...you either have standards or you don't

I was with the BSI a few years ago and I found them to be very good and thorough , and not under the sell sell mentality either , just a shame they don't publicise themselves more ..

That's the thing with most folks of her generation, they never want to make a fuss over these things and so get rolled over all the time.

It boils my pi$$ and is why as I'm getting older I'm making damned sure I'm becoming more of a belligerent old tw*t with the passing of each day.

Whaddya mean........ "becoming" ????? :rofl:

i know i've taken a bit of stick today about not knowing all the regs, but how on earth can anybody do a job like that and sleep at night. I suppose the ÂŁ200 quid might help. And supposedly an electrician did it?

In my experience the ELECSA inspectors haven't got two brain cells to rub together!
If it doesn't conform to their interpretation of BS7671 then it is wrong!

Mine is fine. He is well versed in all aspects of the regs, electrical and building, and is happy to debate ambiguous sections of the regs with a neutral viewpoint. He has never told me that something is "wrong" but usually says "what we generally like to see is....." i.e. he operates a bit of common sense.

I have no experience of other inspectors but just thought I would like to stick up for mine as he knows what he is on about and doesn't act like a company robot.

Reply to More part P quality installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net