Discuss Motor rating plate help 3phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

suffolkspark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all, got this rating plate on a portable feed augar motor, it's currently wired in some seriously past it SY cable, the farmer wants to renew it , I've suggested H07RNF as best choice, but I'm not clued up on reading motor plates to size it, I see 29 on the plate, and assume it to be amps, it's a very big motor probably 10inches fat, about 18" long.... but if it is amps, is that amps per phase, or total? It's on a 32A 4pin plug

Attachments

• 20210121_145547.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 33
29A per phase would be my guess.
cant read the A symbol near the 29 but it is in the right sort of area, voltage shown then Current.
also ties up with the 32A plug feeding it.

Yes looks like 15kW for which 29A is about right. Had it been 15hp / 11kW the current would have been more like 24A.

if it is amps, is that amps per phase, or total

Motor rated currents are always line currents, and indeed all 3-phase equipment is quoted as current per line. The only reason one would normally consider total current is when dealing with multiple single-phase loads that have to be allocated amongst the three phases.

I've worked for a lot of farmers over the years, and can assure you that in a very few years, the outer sheath of the H07RN-F will have been largely replaced by various colours of adhesive tape.
I've found that a lot of the damage occurs when they move these machines around, so I always fit a well anchored short flex from the motor to a 32A plug, and supply them with the main part of the cable as an extension lead with a 32A plug on one end, and a 32A line socket on the other.
This gives them the option of removing the cable to a safe place when they move the machine, to plug a couple of these leads together, if they want to use it where there isn't a socket, and makes it more likely that they'll order another extension lead from me when it has deteriorated enough to even make a farmer think it's past it. Much cheaper for them than calling me out to fit a new lead again.

Thanks all, the issue in having now is the current carrying capacity seems to vary considerably by manufacturer ? eland cables show a 6mm being needed, sellec says 4mm will take 30A, nexans though, 2.5mm will take 29A,

Correction factors for temperature and number of cores should be applied to flexible cables so the higher current rating is likely to be omitting these so I would opt for the 6mm which has probably applied these.

Reply to Motor rating plate help 3phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net