Discuss Moved into new house in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hickmeister17

Hi there,

i've just moved into a new house and have some real concerns over the electrics. Can you have a look at the attached picture and tell me if I have any sort of trip switches please?

thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 43
You have circuit breaker and main isolator in the white enclosure to the left of the meter, and an enclosure with fuses in at the bottom.

If you have just moved house, and there is no electrical installation paperwork and you say you are concerned, then spend a few quid and get a spark in the test it all for you. There may not be anything wrong with it, just because it is a bit untidy and not to the latest regs doesnt mean it is dangerous, but only a spark can tell you.

I dare say someone on here will be able to assist, await the replies.

Cheers..........Howard

I'm not keen on the two tails coming out of the meter to the CU, it might be my 8 year old monitor but they look like they've seen better days. It's not the neatest installation but it doesn't look like a disaster or an immediate hazard either.

Yes the tails need to be looked at imho. What concerns me is the 10mm T&E from the meter to a stand alone fuse box. This needs to be fixed and Dillb is the man for the job.

Thanks for all of your messages. I do have an electrician booked to fit an rcd for me on Thursday now. Sorry Dillb, but they beat you to it. I'll ask them to look at the meter tails for me.

they're charging ÂŁ310 for an RCD installation and a full test of my property. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

Thanks

What exactly are you getting for your ÂŁ310?

If it is must to fit a new consumer unit with dual RCD then yes the price is reasonable. But ask if it also covers any fault finding that may be needed if there are exisitin problems on the installatio and not just a case of sharing a RCD if it is proven you have a shared neutral.

Thanks for your advice mate. Not sure if it's a shared neutral. It's a 1960's house in Gedling if that helps identify it. They didsay they would be searching for any faults after installing the new consumer unit, so it sounds like they will be doing what you mentioned.

I really hate leaving things to other people and trusting they'll do it right. Wish I knew how to do everything lol. I'd just sort it myself......

Thanks for all of your messages. I do have an electrician booked to fit an rcd for me on Thursday now. Sorry Dillb, but they beat you to it. I'll ask them to look at the meter tails for me.

they're charging ÂŁ310 for an RCD installation and a full test of my property. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

Thanks

Some one with common sense, seeks advice and acts upon it. :)

Thanks for your advice mate. Not sure if it's a shared neutral. It's a 1960's house in Gedling if that helps identify it. They didsay they would be searching for any faults after installing the new consumer unit, so it sounds like they will be doing what you mentioned.

I really hate leaving things to other people and trusting they'll do it right. Wish I knew how to do everything lol. I'd just sort it myself......

it's not just being able to do it. it also involves testing to ensure safety and reliability. to buy the test gear alone would cost a bloody sight more than the ÂŁ310, and that's without obtaining the knowledge to use it!. putting it another way, i9f ther old bill had you up on a serious crime charge, would you defend yourself?

Just out of interest....did not the mortage people want an electrical test done before you brought it?

Searching for faults AFTER they install new CU. I personally dont like the sound of that. If it was me, IMHO get them to conduct most of the test first.
Then any faults found can be quoted and resolved beforehand

Reply to Moved into new house in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net