Discuss Moving some wall light fittings in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

beadyui

We've recently bought a new place, and there are 2 wall lights in symmetrical alcoves which we'd like to replace

However on closer inspection i was pleased to find that the 2 lights are offset by about 10cm vertically (not so symmetrical, argh!)

What i'd like to do is fit some new lights but at the same time level up the cabling on one side

The walls are plaster covered brick (external) and unfortunately it looks like on one side the cabling is plastered into the wall from the floor up, and on the other it is plastered into the wall from the ceiling down meaning that there is no extra cable to play with (apart from about 5cm of stripped back cable that is poking out of the wall which goes into the existing lights)

So i'm guessing this will require extending the cable on one side and cutting a new channel in the plaster work and then filling over..

However I know that you can't just "extend" cable that is covered by plaster, as you need to use a junction box/blanking plate.. but the problem with this is it will end up being right where I want to put the new light..

Any advice on how to go about this? I'm a keen but newbie DIY-er, but more than happy to get an expert in when its needed..

Thanks in advance!

it's not difficult to extend the cable in the wall, but it may be beyond the scope of DIY. an electrician would extend using crimps and heat shrink sleeving, then plaster in.

For safety the ideal method would be to remove the cable carefully from the wall (probably easiest on the one to the ceiling, but this is dependent on layout) and cut a new vertical channel offset to the original, and run the old cable in there, it is possible there may then be enough cable to reach.
Using this method keeps the cable in line with the light so that you can tell where the cable may be and not put nails into it at a later date.

Reply to Moving some wall light fittings in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net