Discuss multi strand 2.5mm T&E - is it OK to use? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Geoff_Potts

Hi, I've been working in a relatively new house (approx 5 years old) and the kitchen ring is wired with 2.5mm, twin and earth in which both the line and protective conductors are multistranded.

Is this OK to use? I've never come across it on 2.5mm cable and they have nuisance tripping on this circuit, just wondered if it was in common useage as I've never seen it before.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the IR is poor 0.78, but I've switched off and am returning tomorrow to find the fault. Was just wondering as one of the trade magazines I get has been going on about substandard cable.

I haven't been into disconnecting sections yet, so the IR reading may be a damaged cable, socket or wiring in back box etc. It is not definitely the cable run itself yet.

Nothing wrong with the flexible multi-stranded single cables Are these singles your talking about, pulled into conduit?? Much more expensive than your solid core variety, and far easier to pull into conduit, especially if you have some tighter bends... Might even have a better current carrying rating too, but don't hold me to that!! lol!!

EDIT... Sorry, you mentioned T&E in your post, ....Only ever seen this type of cable in the Far East, but never used on our progects...

No they're not singles, it's T&E, but all cores are stranded like 10mm etc.
Thats OK, I've never seen it on 2.5 before so possibly it is used to be more flexible, for some reason it's only the kitchen ring wired with it, rest of house is all solid so I assume the installer had his reasons. Anyway, just wanted to make sure nobody came up with 'it's cheap rubbish, take it out, it's a fire risk!'

So all I have to do now is locate fault and cable shoudl be OK.

thats why i asked, theres actually some in my house but under old colours, and that I've seen a bit. I've never seen before this one in harmonised though. Just wanted to make sure there was no reason for/against using it.

Just tried NICEIC technical and they're not happy, they've no reg for/against using it but it's not one they've come across in a new build either. Not sure what to do here, don't want to rewire a kitchen if it doesn't need it, but after all the hype lately of banned cables I dont' want to say its safe and have house burned down. I need to find out whats causing the low IR. I suppose if it's machanical fault and it goes back up above 2M when fixed i suppose I'm then safe to say cable is OK to use.

This was the norm pre 15th Edition. However, as this is new cable in harmonised colours, I would suggest this Far East imported stock and unlikely to be BASEC approved. Contact BASEC by telephone or Email they will provide technical information / advice and investigate if counterfit/non compliant cable has been purchased, further details at BASEC - British Approvals Service for Cables
click 'About BASEC, Complaints' for more information.

Have you access to the runs of cable above a ceiling or similar. You may be able to see if the cable is BASEC approved or similar by looking at the markings on the outer sleeving. Have to admit i've never seen stranded harmonised twin and earth, the only stranded stuff i've seen was old colours and more often then not tinned copper.

Hi, I've been working in a relatively new house (approx 5 years old) and the kitchen ring is wired with 2.5mm, twin and earth in which both the line and protective conductors are multistranded.

Is this OK to use? I've never come across it on 2.5mm cable and they have nuisance tripping on this circuit, just wondered if it was in common useage as I've never seen it before.

Thanks
He says in which both the line and protective conductors are multistranded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

i read it as both line conductors multi stranded. 2nd read says i misread it.

Thanks

if you read th OP , he says the phase conductors are stranded, not the cpc.

If you read the OP properly i think he does mention the CPC is stranded. ;)

see my las t post. re-read it . have to go to specsavers. apologies , mate.

Easily done Tel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Reply to multi strand 2.5mm T&E - is it OK to use? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net