Discuss MVHR unit - condensate drain arrangement? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

BrianHJR

DIY
Reaction score
I’ve purchased a single room unit to extract air from the bathroom, it will pass it through a heat exchanger and exhaust outside.
In parallel, air is drawn from outside, through the heat exchanger and slightly warmed before vented through the ceiling of the landing/stairwell - there have been issues in the past in this area with condensation over winter when the house was tenanted And I’m hopeful that this will help reduce that.

Fitting seems relatively straightforward - it’s pre-wired and has a standard plug so won’t presumably be notifiable - but I’m somewhat puzzled by the arrangement for the condensate drain from the bottom of the loft unit.

I was expecting this to be a standard fitting to attach a piece of standard overflow pipe - however there is a spigot fitting for a hose instead.
The instructions are very vague, they show a trap arrangement but fail to suggest how this might be achieved - any suggestions as to how this might be achieved?

Attachments

• DE71EAF5-CD9E-4BB9-A5EA-78ADDDB229D6.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 12
  • A4C12C9E-6E0C-4AA3-B080-8843EDDD2C1A.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 25530D9E-6B02-44C9-9313-E6B2CFCFE864.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 14
  • EA16189E-EFBF-4D3C-B44E-1AEAB3CFAF8F.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 14
Bit of flexible pipe, clip it to the woodwork so it forms a U shape with the U the same way up as the letter

Bit of flexible pipe, clip it to the woodwork so it forms a U shape with the U the same way up as the letter

I thought that might do it, but then considered that I probably can’t just pass it out the gable into the passage as unlike an overflow pipe it May well drip constantly, causing a hazard in icy weather and potentially damp problems down the brickwork.

I’ve no way to put a drain internally so I’m thinking I’d either need to put a length of solvent weld piping under the roof tiles and out of the eaves into the gutter, or a piece of 32mm waste pipe through the gable and into the nearest waste pipe running at first floor level from the sink.

Reply to MVHR unit - condensate drain arrangement? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net