Discuss My economy7 storage heater and water heater are not working. The Triton shower is not working. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello.
I have just bought my first property ( although an OAP) and have only just moved in. It has storage heaters, emersion water heater and a Triton shower, none of which appear to have any power to them. The main power switches are down , so is the separate shower power switch. The only thing I can see is the radio teleswitch meter switch appears to be in 'off' position. Would this affect the power to the appliances mentioned above. If not, can anyone give me any advice please.

IMG_20171020_183316170.jpg

No, the shower switch is next to it and is in the down position, are you saying the double red switch is the circuit breaker, and should it be down despite my take it says it should be up,?
no ..... both should be up for on.

Try the the grey switch, push it up the red switch is ok
and check the shower. The whole lot of the electrical gear picture would be good with the box (white) open. Perhaps sharper focus?
Edit:repeat soz.

Ok, shower now working, thanks ever so much, storage heaters still not on, do you think this has anything to do with radio teleswitch is in the off position, I have no idea about such matters, I'm sorry. Will post another pic.

No, the shower switch is next to it and is in the down position, are you saying the double red switch is the circuit breaker, and should it be down despite my take it says it should be up,?
No the red switch is an isolator, the black switch next to it in the same box is the circuit breaker, why was it switched off, if I were in your shoes I would get the shower tested, others may say just switch the Circuit breaker on Jennifer, but it may have been switched off for a reason, get it tested along with your other electrical problems, better safe than sorry, although why nothing was mentioned prior to you buying the property is somewhat puzzling hence my suggestion to get it looked at ASAP.
Good luck.

Make sure all the switches for the storage heaters are in the up position at the mains.Then go round making sure all the switches are pressed down next to each storage heater.Now wait until tomorrow morning to see it it works.(The heaters only come on from midnight to 6am so they won't work until the next day)

Make sure all the switches for the storage heaters are in the up position at the mains.Then go round making sure all the switches are pressed down next to each storage heater.Now wait until tomorrow morning to see it it works.(The heaters only come on from midnight to 6am so they won't work until the next day)
And if there is a fault?

As you have just moved in the tariff you are using may not include economy 7 and hence is switched off. Sometimes energy suppliers will just leave the equipment there and charge the new tariff through your meter. It depends what tariff/energy supplier you are using. I suggest looking into that with your energy supplier. What heating do you use for the house and hot water.

a possible reason for the shower MCB being off is that the shower isolator ( pull cord if in bathroom, or could be a wall switch outside bathroom ) may have a dodgy connection. check to see if it gets hot or smells. best option would be to get a local electrician in to check your installation, as pete 999 said earlier.

That CU was replaced in 2016 yet they didn't see fit to upgrade the shower circuit to RCD protected - unless the small shower board is fed from an RCD protected 'way' in the new board ?

Reply to My economy7 storage heater and water heater are not working. The Triton shower is not working. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net