Discuss My Washing Machine Is ... in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This is mine can I come in and play.

vintage washer maytag wringer.jpg

Oh and it's good to see you Archy!!

That doesn't count Glenn, it's not electric. But it's got nice legs so maybe.

And yes, Hi Archy!

My washing machine was STOLEN!

6 months ago the fuse went in the control module. The motor inverter transistors and driver IC had failed but everything else seemed fine, and as new modules were £120+ vs. a fiver for the parts I decided it was worth the effort of repairing the module. It was going to need the back of the plastic case milled out to get access to the board, and there wasn't much space to test it in situ, so I took the whole machine along to the workshop.

I heaved it out of the van, pulled the module and got to work. I cut a section out of the back, replaced the parts, and went to refit it in the machine. What machine? While I was busy soldering IGBTs, the local pikies had obviously pulled up to the loading bay and relieved me of the washer.

Still got the module as a souvenir.

Module back.jpg

Module front.jpg

My washing machine was STOLEN!

6 months ago the fuse went in the control module. The motor inverter transistors and driver IC had failed but everything else seemed fine, and as new modules were £120+ vs. a fiver for the parts I decided it was worth the effort of repairing the module. It was going to need the back of the plastic case milled out to get access to the board, and there wasn't much space to test it in situ, so I took the whole machine along to the workshop.

I heaved it out of the van, pulled the module and got to work. I cut a section out of the back, replaced the parts, and went to refit it in the machine. What machine? While I was busy soldering IGBTs, the local pikies had obviously pulled up to the loading bay and relieved me of the washer.

Still got the module as a souvenir.

View attachment 33260

View attachment 33261

Cheers fellas! :)

I just buy any an occasional knackered machine off ebay for a tenner now and again.
Did a motor swap just the other day, saves a fortune! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucien,i thought i was the only one who had domestic OCD on repairs;)

I have a Candy drier,which,to date i have re-bearinged the motor,replaced the elements,belt,contacts in the timer,and converted the rear drum bush to a sealed bearing...

It was the cheapest one available,12 years ago,and the only thing i have which has generated more warm wind,is from the sighs of despair emanating from my missus,every time i drag it out,and whistle it to self-strip :)

Reply to My Washing Machine Is ... in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net