Discuss Need help with a prototype in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not being funny but your prototype doesn't look like an improvement, basically you have put two retractable iPhone cables in a box and wired to one USB? I can understand how both move, do you mean they both reel out when one is pulled?

I'm not being funny but your prototype doesn't look like an improvement, basically you have put two retractable iPhone cables in a box and wired to one USB? I can understand how both move, do you mean they both reel out when one is pulled?
Obviously it’s not an important as it’s not even close to completion. And yes that’s what I mean

Will this getup incorporate the power unit or does it need to be supplied from a usb outlet.

Slip ring(s) is what the O.P is looking for.
But I'd say the idea is at least £250,000 away from a decent pre production unit.
Prototype Injection moulding is very expensive.

And by the time it's ready Wireless induction for Phones will be the norm, making it obsolete before it hits the shops.

And the Forum is not just picking holes, it's trying to offer constructive criticism.
Have you seen Dragon's Den, they make mincemeat out of some pretty good but uneconomic ideas.

So basically you want us to design it for you and you take all the credit???

Have you thought about type approval rating, British and European standards compliance etc?

Did anyone else also receive a private message from the OP about this?

Slip ring(s) is what the O.P is looking for.
But I'd say the idea is at least £250,000 away from a decent pre production unit.
Prototype Injection moulding is very expensive.

And by the time it's ready Wireless induction for Phones will be the norm, making it obsolete before it hits the shops.

And the Forum is not just picking holes, it's trying to offer constructive criticism.
Have you seen Dragon's Den, they make mincemeat out of some pretty good but uneconomic ideas.
Yes I have seen dragons den and they are business men and women who have succeeded and are willing to give constructive feedback. Most users on this forum however are not constructive. I’m just a 17 year old entrepreneur who has an idea.

So basically you want us to design it for you and you take all the credit???

Have you thought about type approval rating, British and European standards compliance etc?

Did anyone else also receive a private message from the OP about this?
I want help and advice I’m not telling you to make the finished product am I?

Yes I have seen dragons den and they are business men and women who have succeeded and are willing to give constructive feedback. Most users on this forum however are not constructive. I’m just a 17 year old entrepreneur who has an idea.

Not much of an idea of how to act though. You are being very demanding.

Please remember that this is a public forum where all are free to comment and people are giving you their time for free.

Some of us here have designed a lot of things and experience shows that you have to ask a lot of questions to get a feel for how something should be done, before looking at the mechanics of it. Otherwise it's like answering the question ' How do I make a car?' without finding out whether the asker has in mind a Lamborghini or a Nissan Micra.

To me, the most important thing you revealed was this:
Aimed more at bars and other waiting areas

I have considerable experience of retractable cable mechanisms in commercial use. They get KNACKERED!! Not just in public areas but in upscale offices and conference rooms. The high-end commercial units sell for upwards of £200 each and some last a year before they are pulled to pieces, springs broken, rollers jammed, connectors squashed and fatigue failures in the conductors. I have personally lain on my back in the middle of the night under boardroom tables fixing and changing them.

So, my advice to you, before trying to find a detailed solution, is to define as well as you can, what you want to achieve. How many mating cycles? How many retraction cycles? What maximum pullout force? Ballpark price? Then if you ask for help, communicate all of this in the enquiry, so that people can get a handle on what is needed.

Some of us here have designed a lot of things and experience shows that you have to ask a lot of questions to get a feel for how something should be done, before looking at the mechanics of it. Otherwise it's like answering the question ' How do I make a car?' without finding out whether the asker has in mind a Lamborghini or a Nissan Micra.

To me, the most important thing you revealed was this:

I have considerable experience of retractable cable mechanisms in commercial use. They get KNACKERED!! Not just in public areas but in upscale offices and conference rooms. The high-end commercial units sell for upwards of £200 each and some last a year before they are pulled to pieces, springs broken, rollers jammed, connectors squashed and fatigue failures in the conductors. I have personally lain on my back in the middle of the night under boardroom tables fixing and changing them.

So, my advice to you, before trying to find a detailed solution, is to define as well as you can, what you want to achieve. How many mating cycles? How many retraction cycles? What maximum pullout force? Ballpark price? Then if you ask for help, communicate all of this in the enquiry, so that people can get a handle on what is needed.
Thank you for the highly valuable advice. Perhaps you could share some of your knowledge of retractable cables with me as I literally just came up with the idea I don’t know what I’m doing.

Reply to Need help with a prototype in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net