Discuss new amd 3 certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

topcat72

Hi all

a little advice please,

I work for a metering company and we sometimes have to complete minor works and electrical installation certs when installing a new supply for sub metering and data loggers.

if installing a new supply this obviously falls outside the minor works cert, but my question is this...

Q. when filling in the new schedule of inspections checklist, should this only relate to the newly installed circuit, as a periodic inspection condition report should be carried out on the existing installation which we would not be responsible for.

thanks in advance

TC

The inspection checklist relates only to the work that you have done and somewhat to the supply to that circuit, e.g. if you add a new light fitting you are also checking that the circuit to which it is connected is safe for you to do this, however the whole circuit does not require a full inspection.

The EIC includes a "description of work" - so use this to describe your work such as "circuit 9 added for new cooker circuit".

In the listing of circuits, I include "used" for existing circuits, and "spare" for any unused - that way if you ever return, you can tell if somebody else has been changing the installation.

The EIC includes a "description of work" - so use this to describe your work such as "circuit 9 added for new cooker circuit".

In the listing of circuits, I include "used" for existing circuits, and "spare" for any unused - that way if you ever return, you can tell if somebody else has been changing the installation.

thankyou for the replies,

so, what about the section for earthing arrangements, this wouldn't always be relevant if you were working on a localized DB and the origin of supply was inaccessible or unable to be determined.

TC

The earthing arrangement would always be relevant as the requirements for protection vary by earthing arrangement.
Without knowing the type of system you are limited in what installation you can do, you would also be unable to verify that the bonding and earthing conductor were correctly sized, you would be unable to verify that bonding was correctly connected.
This is part of the basic level of inspection that is required for all installation work.

The earthing arrangement would always be relevant as the requirements for protection vary by earthing arrangement.
Without knowing the type of system you are limited in what installation you can do, you would also be unable to verify that the bonding and earthing conductor were correctly sized, you would be unable to verify that bonding was correctly connected.
This is part of the basic level of inspection that is required for all installation work.

i imagine the sites in question a large industrial or commercial sites where the OP is installing a supply for a meter/logger so getting details of the supply earthing or bonding is near impossible, are you saying that you can't install a radial circuit without this information when you could be working in a massive site with a HV incoming supply? Are you expected to confirm the whole installation when you may only be allowed in one room onsite?

that maybe possible in a domestic or light commercial situation but in my opinion isn't realistic in practice on big sites.

Reply to new amd 3 certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net