Discuss New and willing to learn, in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MJD

Hi All,
Just purchased my first home and will be looking to do a few bits and bobs like replacing old fitting. Thought I would join up to view the forum and look at threads to hopefully cover some information I need to get jobs done.

One of my first jobs i would like to do is replace the down lights in the kitchen top shelf.

The setup is as follows:

Switch on wall as normal. - Controlling wall socket.
Wall socket
Into a Junction box
Spilt to two transformers.
Transformers A runs 1-3 spots and transformer B 4&5 spots.

Here's a couple of images which may help explain better than I can.

Now all the lights have died over the pas 2 months so im looking to replace.

I thought I knew what I was doing but clearly not.

I purchased the 5 of theses:
[h=1]LAP Fixed Round Mains Voltage Downlight Polished Chrome 240V[/h]http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-fixed-round-mains-voltage-downlight-polished-chrome-240v/39914

I thought I would be able to use these with 35w G10 bulbs running the old transformers by simply plug and play on the spot wires.... Seems not...

So the question is what is needed? Should I be using 240V here or 12v?

I see you can buy a setup like this:
LAP Fixed Round Low Voltage Downlight Polished Chrome 12V | 12V Fire Rated Downlights | NoLinkingToThis

But i thought I wont want to wire 5 of these into one junction box?

If someone could do me a DIY guide and advise what I need to buy i would be most grateful, I have the recipt so can take the one ive purchased back.

Sorry for such a big first intro post :)

MJD.

Rip the lot out and chuck it in the bin so you are left with just the socket. From what you have said you have a wall switch that turns the supply to the socket on and off, this lets you leave the socket on and switch the lights on and off at the switch. If that is the case, then fine, OK its not best practice to do this, as you could plug an appliance into it that would overload the lighting circuit and trip the circuit breaker or blow the fuse, but given the location of the socket, this is highly unlikely, but just remember this if you do ever plug something else in for any reason, such as a power drill if you are doing a bit of DIY, it isnt dangerous though as long as the socket is wired into the lighting circuit properly.

Anyway, you have bought 230v lights and are fitting GU10 lamps, so all you need to do is connect your lights together daisy chain fashion, with suitable flex 1.0mm or 1.5mm 3 core, and put a plug on the other end and fit a 3 amp fuse, plug it into the socket and job done. I would recommend LED replacement lamps, they are energy efficient, and a lot cooler than GU10's. I mean operating temperature not wow factor.

Stay away from the 12v stuff unless you have to use it due to the location, but you dont need it in kitchen, it involves messing about with transformers and there is more to go wrong as it gets older.

Cheers.................Howard

and finish off the painting. lazy bugger.

Reply to New and willing to learn, in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net